Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:18 AM
catman

Loop antenna question.

G'day all, one for the full wave loop antenna boffins out there. Is it ok to have a metal mast running 'through' a full wave wire loop antenna?

I've been doing this for years with quite good results (a diamond shaped wire loop hung off a metal mast with the sides tied off as required), yet I wonder if it is really acceptable and/or detrimental to loop antenna performance to have a metal object running the whole way through the centre of a loop Any thoughts? Regards, Felix (vk4fuq) aka catman.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used PVC pipe to construct my MW AM loop. Nearby metal can influence the pattern. I am mainly concerned about being able to produce sharp nulls to reduce signals from interfering stations on the same frequency, so wish to keep the pattern "clean".

I know that MW broadcasters in this country must pay special attention to nearby metal towers (such a cell phone and TV towers) even to the extent of installing tuned "skirts" on said towers to reduce their effects on the MW station transmit pattern.

jr
Old 09-21-2012, 08:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

I used PVC for my 2 meter loop antenna. It worked well.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I used PVC pipe to construct my MW AM loop. Nearby metal can influence the pattern. I am mainly concerned about being able to produce sharp nulls to reduce signals from interfering stations on the same frequency, so wish to keep the pattern "clean".

I know that MW broadcasters in this country must pay special attention to nearby metal towers (such a cell phone and TV towers) even to the extent of installing tuned "skirts" on said towers to reduce their effects on the MW station transmit pattern.

jr
This kind of looks like you have it on a rotor. Is it on a rotor and if so do you also tune the loop remotely?
Old 06-14-2014, 11:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes and Yes!
But I was not fond of the remote tuning... IIRC, it introduced a small amount of "hum" on some stations, so I changed to manual tune, (variable cap in the black box) and use a portable radio held near the loop to tune it.

jr
Audiokarma
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Yes and Yes!
But I was not fond of the remote tuning... IIRC, it introduced a small amount of "hum" on some stations, so I changed to manual tune, (variable cap in the black box) and use a portable radio held near the loop to tune it.

jr
That's awesome. I'm kind of an AM fanatic:

Antenna Pix: DIY and Store Bought -- Post 1

Antenna Pix: DIY and Store Bought -- Post 5

For the remote tuning did you use some geared down motor (stepper, etc)? Right now my loop's in the house but I would like to have a smaller weather-proof one mounted in the back yard on top of a 16-foot pressure treated post and as far away from background noise as I can get it.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopstick View Post
For the remote tuning did you use some geared down motor (stepper, etc)? Right now my loop's in the house but I would like to have a smaller weather-proof one mounted in the back yard on top of a 16-foot pressure treated post and as far away from background noise as I can get it.
I used a varactor tuner similar to the one shown in this article:
http://www.randombio.com/loopantenna.html
With 1Meg resistors, I picked up "hum" on some stations, likely due to nearby power lines in my area. If I lowered the resistance enough to eliminate the "hum", the tuning of the antenna became very broad (low Q)... so I installed the manual tune box, seen above the rotor.

jr
Old 06-15-2014, 05:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I used a varactor tuner similar to the one shown in this article:
http://www.randombio.com/loopantenna.html
With 1Meg resistors, I picked up "hum" on some stations, likely due to nearby power lines in my area. If I lowered the resistance enough to eliminate the "hum", the tuning of the antenna became very broad (low Q)... so I installed the manual tune box, seen above the rotor.

jr
Maybe it was the lower Q that made the 60 Hz wiggle in the voltage controlled capacitance less noticeable. IOW the 60 Hz variation in capacitance was still moving the loop back and forth across its peak but because the peak was softer you couldn't really hear this happening. Another theory is that lower resistance = lower RFI susceptibility.

Even though I don't have a remote loop I'll still on occasion use a portable (RF-2200, ATS-803A) to peak the loop because the receiver / tuner lacks a signal strength meter and the AGC masks audible peaks. When I first got into this stuff I thought everything had to be up on the roof or in the attic or on some high mast. But that's not the case with AM. Anyhow good work.