Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 PM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
It is interesting that the more famous 15GP22 didn't "make the cut".
The sheet I posted was only a loose supplement page in the back of the dandy-dapter book. There is a listing for the 15GP22 AND 15HP22 in the main list of the book. You'll notice that sheet is missing many of the roundie numbers... they are in the main part of the book as well.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAkid View Post
... I have to wonder why, with all the black & white rectangular sets out there, that the rectangular color set didn't take off. You would think the roundie really, should never have happend.
Well, consider that the R&D that went into B/W CRTs naturally began with round screens, narrow deflection angle, and big necks. Not until the electronics were fully mature and reliable did R&D advance into developing rectangular, wider deflection tubes with smaller necks. The same evolutionary sequence was naturally followed in developing color CRTs. Advancing from roundies to rectangular/ wider deflection/ flatter screen tubes brought on new challenges with convergence and particularly the pincushion effect. Pincushioning becomes problematic with wider deflection angles and flatter screens- http://www.tpub.com/content/navyict/14120/141200340.htm which requires dedicated correction circuitry. Thus the big-necked, narrow deflection roundies had to serve sorta as "proof of concept" in color just as had been the case with B/W.
Bill(oc)
Old 09-26-2009, 11:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
Since no one here has ever seen one of these sets fully working, it will be interesting to see what the convergence is really like. It might not be as bad as the rumors suggest. Everyone thought projection TVs from the 80s were not capable of good convergence, but once they were properly set up, they were excellent.
I remember seeing the set that I have operating in the orig. owners home several years before he moved and gave it to me. Warmed up, it did not look half bad, but that took at least 1/2 hour or more. He told me that he fiddled with the convergence adjustments quite a bit, as they seemed to "drift". I never saw the set with the side cover on the convergence panel, as he left it off for convenience of adjustment. In fact, I thought that the panel was missing, but he kept it inside the set next to the HV cage. At that time my CT 100 still had vacuum in the crt, and as I recall the Westinghouse had better convergence than I could obtain with it.

jr

Update:
Ok, I found a screenshot of my Ct 100 in better days, I could never get very good convergence on it... the Westinghouse was BETTER than this! Can anybody figure what the program was, and approx when it was aired?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc0000c012.jpg (82.6 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by jr_tech; 09-27-2009 at 12:10 AM. Reason: add info
Old 09-27-2009, 12:49 AM
Convergence freak!

The program is "Fat Albert" cartoon. Filmed between 1972 and 1982.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:28 AM
On Land

Hey - Hey - Hey!!!

Audiokarma
Old 09-27-2009, 11:33 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Grant View Post
It is interesting that the more famous 15GP22 didn't "make the cut".
Also, I bet the 19VP22 isn't in there either. That, and the 15G, are very different from the 21(xx)P22 roundies, whereas the 22EP22 and the Toshiba 13" big-neck tubes have the same socket & guns as the regular roundies.

Charles
Old 09-27-2009, 11:45 AM
On Land

Actually, go back and look at that supplement page again. The 19vp is listed in the middle towards the top. I didn't even think to look for it till you mentioned it.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know that convergence is a sore point on my CTC-5. I can get it halfway decent with a lot of work but then the next time I turn it on it looks terrible again. That can be blamed on the DC circuit they used, from what I've read. I've thought about running the set through a variac so I could keep at least that voltage constant. Not sure if that would be good enough. Trouble is that my Iso-Tap is too small for the current draw of this set. Not sure what the rating of my old variac is.