Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:43 PM
Living The Draper Ethos

Zenith Roundie Craigslist Score!

I've been pretty lucky this summer. First, it was the necked Zenith Roundie with Power tuning I found on the Curb back in June. Today this followed me home:

It's a Zenith Model 5226UD. It uses a 25MC33 Chassis. The 21FJP22 tests super strong on all guns and has no Cataract or Green Halo! After cleaning a dirty power switch and tuner, I brought it up slowly on a variac.

It mostly works. No matter what I do, I can't get the color to pop in. I checked the color killer and the service switch. Pulling the 6EW6 burst amp had no effect on the picture. Are there any common problem areas on this chassis that would cause this symptom? I'm guessing that a loss of Chroma must be the cause. Also, where in the heck are the vert size and linearity controls on this chassis? I can't find them anywhere!
Chassis Shot
Old 09-26-2015, 12:10 AM
M is for Memory

As a former owner of that model/chassis here are some tips: The vertical size/lin controls are in the pencil box one is in the hollow shaft of the beige knob left of the green, the other is a hole between knobs.....The fishing lines exiting the yoke are the centering adjustments (don't assume they are garbage and try to rip them out).....On mine most of the tubes in the color section were dead or weak and I could not get any color till I changed them...Test those tubes and replace as needed.

PS the chassis shelf is flimsy; be careful not to rip off the back side of that groove that helps hold the back on.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-26-2015, 01:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oh look. It seems to have the same issue as mine. Stretched at the top and smashed at the bottom.

Must be a common issue on this set. Good to see how all the stuff on the rear of the picture tube is set, though.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:15 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
Oh look. It seems to have the same issue as mine. Stretched at the top and smashed at the bottom.

Must be a common issue on this set. Good to see how all the stuff on the rear of the picture tube is set, though.
From what I've read, this chassis has a vertical integrator like alot of the early 60's B&W Zeniths had. I'm betting that's the problem. First I want to get the color working.

Does anyone have a schematic for a 25MC33 chassis by chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
As a former owner of that model/chassis here are some tips: The vertical size/lin controls are in the pencil box one is in the hollow shaft of the beige knob left of the green, the other is a hole between knobs.....The fishing lines exiting the yoke are the centering adjustments (don't assume they are garbage and try to rip them out).....On mine most of the tubes in the color section were dead or weak and I could not get any color till I changed them...Test those tubes and replace as needed.

PS the chassis shelf is flimsy; be careful not to rip off the back side of that groove that helps hold the back on.
Thanks for the tips. I was wondering what that fishing line stuff was, and I would have never guessed that the height/lin controls were hidden like that. Good thing I left those strands of 10lb test alone. I'll swap out the tubes in the color section tomorrow.
I can definitely see what you mean about the cabinet shelf. The chipboard is, well, starting to shed chips, mostly from the bottom. I was wondering if I could brush a coat of heavy duty polyurethane on the chassis shelf to control the problem?

Last edited by fsjonsey; 09-26-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsjonsey View Post
From what I've read, this chassis has a vertical integrator like alot of the early 60's B&W Zeniths had. I'm betting that's the problem. First I want to get the color working.

Does anyone have a schematic for a 25MC33 chassis by chance?

Thanks for the tips. I was wondering what that fishing line stuff was, and I would have never guessed that the height/lin controls were hidden like that. Good thing I left those strands of 10lb test alone. I'll swap out the tubes in the color section tomorrow.
I can definitely see what you mean about the cabinet shelf. The chipboard is, well, starting to shed chips, mostly from the bottom. I was wondering if I could brush a coat of heavy duty polyurethane on the chassis shelf to control the problem?
I have yet to learn what the vertical integrators are, or how to replace them. I admit my lack of knowledge in this aspect. I'm hoping reading more and watching posts like this, esp this one, given this is the identical set as mine, will help.

And I have the photofacts for this set. I am not sure how to duplicate it though
Audiokarma
Old 09-26-2015, 02:43 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
I have yet to learn what the vertical integrators are, or how to replace them. I admit my lack of knowledge in this aspect. I'm hoping reading more and watching posts like this, esp this one, given this is the identical set as mine, will help.

And I have the photofacts for this set. I am not sure how to duplicate it though
The integrators are basically a few caps and resistors in a circuit all encased in one component. The ones I've come across in TV and Audio (Fisher loved them in their tube integrated amplifiers and receivers - Philco loved Them in their TV's) look like a giant, often lumpy square or rectangular ceramic caps with multiple leads coming out.

Last edited by fsjonsey; 09-26-2015 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 08:17 AM
sampson159

i saw this set on craigslist.looks like the crt was replaced.glad someone grabbed it.post more pics
Old 09-26-2015, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice score, I those sets.
Old 09-26-2015, 10:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

There is a 100MF electrolytic capacitor connected to the cathode (pin 4) or the 6he5 vertical output tube that is almost always bad and will cause the lack of height. It is usually located on the underside of the chassis at the front. Replace it then do the height and linearity adjustments. This will need to be right before you try to converge the set. Get the black and white picture right before you worry to much about the color. Weak tubes could be a problem for the color, but check the vertical output tube as well and be sure it is healthy.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The integrators are basically a few caps and resistors in a circuit all encased in one component. The ones I've come across in TV and Audio (Fisher loved them in their tube integrated amplifiers and receivers - Philco loved Them in their TV's) look like a giant, often lumpy square or rectangular ceramic caps with multiple leads coming out.
How does one go about replacing them I wonder? I imagine I could locate them fairly easily, but how do they get replaced? I'm sure their a part thats not easily found.
Audiokarma
Old 09-26-2015, 12:31 PM
M is for Memory

Most Zenith vert integrators were installed between the synch sep and the input to the first vertical multivibrator tube, and filter horizontal noise out of the synch....If it synchs good leave it be. Some times they also used them in the feedback from the vert output/second multivibrator to the first vert multivibrator section.

Never found a bad Zenith integrator so they would be far from the first thing I'd suspect as the problem. Get the caps and resistors in speck before you worry about it. The sam's should show the way replace it with discreet parts.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-26-2015, 04:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

There are no integrators on this chassis. I just checked the schematic. So don't loose sleep over them. Do a google search for the chassis and the schematic is online at antiqueradios.com.
Old 09-26-2015, 05:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm going to keep close tabs on this post. His is suffering the same vertical issue mine is.

Mine gets excellent color, thanks to Electronic M getting that part of the set working.

But both this one, and mine, have the identical issue with the vertical.
Old 10-01-2015, 12:53 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
There is a 100MF electrolytic capacitor connected to the cathode (pin 4) or the 6he5 vertical output tube that is almost always bad and will cause the lack of height. It is usually located on the underside of the chassis at the front. Replace it then do the height and linearity adjustments. This will need to be right before you try to converge the set. Get the black and white picture right before you worry to much about the color. Weak tubes could be a problem for the color, but check the vertical output tube as well and be sure it is healthy.
BINGO!
Today I replaced all the ElMenco, Bumblebee, and other suspect paper caps under the chassis. I also replaced the 100uf electrolytic that feeds pin 4 of the vertical output tube that Bill R mentioned. Bill had it right. A new 100uf cap solved all the vertical issues. I now have full vertical height and good linearity. I still don't have color, despite also replacing all the tubes in the color section with NOS replacements. Where should I look next? The bad 100uf Electrolytic was a cardboard cased Sprague "Atom". Is it just my experience or are Sprague "Atoms" always bad?

Last edited by fsjonsey; 10-01-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
BINGO!
Today I replaced all the ElMenco, Bumblebee, and other suspect paper caps under the chassis. I also replaced the 100uf electrolytic that feeds pin 4 of the vertical output tube that Bill R mentioned. Bill had it right. A new 100uf cap solved all the vertical issues. I now have full vertical height and good linearity. I still don't have color, despite also replacing all the tubes in the color section with NOS replacements. Where should I look next? The bad 100uf Electrolytic was a cardboard cased Sprague "Atom". Is it just my experience or are Sprague "Atoms" always bad?
Commonly yes. With how old most of them are. The capacitor you replaced was the 100uF 50V in the front of the chassis, C6 on the sams schematic.. It was bad in both of my sets, in one the vertical would collapse under bright images, and the other it would flex and bow.

Replacing it is a must on these.

Mine still has the vertical issue, stretched at the top and compressed at the bottom. I'm working on doing away with C4 entirely, but the caps I ordered got lost in the mail, so I'm suffering a bit of pointless run around.

The color issues might be in your tuner section. There is a very simple way to feed these sets A/V input to see if that produces color at all. I could post a picture from the schematic if interested, or how it was done on my chassis.
Audiokarma