Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

5 Grand for a SNES?!

I've been watching this auction go down and I thought it was crazy. $5,200 for a brand new super Nintendo plus 37 sealed games? Man! The people who bid on this auction must have been some really serious collectors, because I still can't believe it sold for that much...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:WNARL:US:1123

Last edited by site123a; 11-29-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Added photo for future reference...
Old 09-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Mark

Holy crap! I sure wish I hadn't opened mine when I was a kid! It's all dirty now and god only knows if it still works....
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 09-12-2010, 04:26 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Damn, those guys in the UK sure do like their Star Fox games!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Chasin roundies since '79

Notice the NARU'd bidder. I wonder if that will complicate matters.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:39 PM
VK Member

Wow, I don't know how to feel about that! A SNES selling for well more than an RCA 621TS? Huh... but at any rate, I was just looking at a bunch of SNES's and other old game consoles at a place called "Game Cavern" today. They had an SNES in ever shade of discoloration, ranging from pristine gray, to heavy-smoker yellow. There are guys out there who still love these older systems (me included!), but I couldn't ever dream of paying this much for one.
Audiokarma
Old 11-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

It amazes me (or amuses me) to see this as a "collectible/vintage" item.

I think of the Nintendo machines (as well as all of the newer ones) as the "new" video game systems. But, I guess it has been 25 years since they were first sold.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 11-28-2010, 02:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've never understood buying games just to keep them in the box. On the one hand, I like the idea of preserving a perfect boxed copy for posterity, but video games are meant to be played. If I spent 5000 dollars for my SNES, I'd feel the urgent need to actually use it to justify that price. I can't imagine paying that and then putting it behind glass just to look at.

I theorize these auctions also drive up the prices of loose games for the rest of us. Sellers assume that if a single boxed Tiny Toons game sells for 100 dollars, the loose copy must be worth at least 20 or 30.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

They probably paid that much thinking its one of the last sealed Snes systems and hoping it would work perfectly! They could have saved a lot of money by just downloading a Snes emulator and the games to their computer....
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got all the NES Castlevania games sealed. I gotta agree Sealed games are not much fun. Sure they are worth alot but you can't play em. I've been collecting complete copies of games recently.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
I love my old "original" SNES....and the fact it HAS to be played on an old analog CRT or the little "zapper" gun for duck hunt won't work. It has it's faults...I have extra of those damn cart connectors NOS in box for when THAT problem shows up, but so far it's run flawless. Only have like four games for it, but do play the original Duck Hunt and Mario thing every few weeks just for fun :-)

I never really thought of it being WORTH anything.....fifty bucks?...a hundred maybe in a real stretch. It sits at home, and gets PLAYED. I've never been real big on the "glass case" idea. I did that with some of my AIBO robots, and believe me....it's a REALLY SAD day when something has been sitting in a glass case for five years, you go to run it, and it won't boot up.

five of my seven AIBO robots now have completely dead batteries, and these are big fancy lithium-ion packs like for laptops. They die when they sit no matter how you treat 'em. They have a shelf life no matter if you have been using them or not. I'll now have to find a service that specializes in "reloading" that very specific battery.

Don't just let your stuff sit, and not enjoy them.

I know NES doesn't....but maybe SNES or maybe some of those carts themselves likely have batteries in them for saving settings, hi-scores or whatever. Those would almost certainly be dead and even causing harm to the machine if let sit for years on end without attention.

Any of the newer systems almost certainly have a little button cell keeping memory and BIOS settings. it's good for maybe four years tops, and then just like an old laptop or PC, you'll start getting "CMOS errors" or the like. Then later....battery will start harming the board. Just ask anyone who has decided to keep their old 386 they built in '89 running.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:38 AM
<----Zenith C845

I have a Windows 98 computer which I bought 12 years ago. It still works, but the original CMOS backup battery is now dead. The computer will boot normally, but I always have to reload the default settings before I can use it. It doesn't matter anymore, as I replaced the computer with a Windows XP system a couple years ago, but perhaps I'd better take that dead CMOS button cell out of my Win98 computer before it leaks (if -- gasp! -- it hasn't already) and damages or ruins the PC board on which it is mounted.

BTW: AiboPet, what is so special about your SNES game that the laser gun for duck hunt will not work with anything other than an analog CRT TV or monitor? I've never heard of that before. I would think that game would work regardless of what kind of monitor the console is used with, including modern flat screens.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 12-14-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

I used to be a big game flipper, but there's not much to be found around here anymore. I did just sell an empty NES system box for $35. Just a box, foam and manual, no system. It wasn't even that nice. People are crazy.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
The "zapper" (the little gun that comes with the NES)...somehow does not at all like the picture on a flat screen, no matter what contrast or brightness. I've ONLY been able to shoot the flying ducks in Duck Hunt when the NES is on a CRT. I have not tried playing this same game on a B/W crt yet...because most my b/w crt sets are 5" sets.

I got GOOD and TIRED of seeing that EFFING laughing dog....and put the NES back on a 9" Sharp CRT set....and it suddenly worked again :-P
Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiboPet View Post
The "zapper" (the little gun that comes with the NES)...somehow does not at all like the picture on a flat screen, no matter what contrast or brightness. I've ONLY been able to shoot the flying ducks in Duck Hunt when the NES is on a CRT. I have not tried playing this same game on a B/W crt yet...because most my b/w crt sets are 5" sets.

I got GOOD and TIRED of seeing that EFFING laughing dog....and put the NES back on a 9" Sharp CRT set....and it suddenly worked again :-P
The light gun's principle of operation requires a CRT. The gun literally can't see the targets on a plasma or LCD set! Input lag on modern displays certainly doesn't help matters either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_gun
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Yep, those guns depend on the fact that a CRT really only has one dot lit at any given moment. Compare the time when the gun got its pulse of light to the beginning of the video frame, and you know where the gun was pointed. Earlier, simpler ones just detected light. You could point those ones at score numbers or other objects on screen and get credit for hitting the 'target'.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma