Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-26-2014, 10:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

'70's GE AM/FM & 1980 GE table radios

Here's an early '70's GE solid state AM/FM table radio that I recently picked up (model T2215A) at the flea market. After an aural alignment touch up, it works fairly well; but, it would probably work better if I aligned it with the signal generator.

It does not say on the back where the radio was made; but, I suspect it was assembled in USA with foreign parts. Like other GE radios, it is a hot chassis set with a high voltage (about 90V on the collector of the output transistor) AF output stage.

I saw what I thought was a '71 date code on the speaker; but, the code on the model number sticker says 2034B. Some sources say that the second digit of these date codes is the year and some say it's the first digit. I'm pretty sure that on the later GE's, the second digit is the year. So, this one could be either a '70 or '72 model.

BTW, GE must have really liked using dropping resistors instead of step-down transformers. The other day, I picked up this 1980 GE AM/FM (model 7-4115B, date code 1048) that was built in Singapore and it also uses a dropping resistor. However, the entire chassis is a low voltage chassis. Surprisingly, this one has a good FM section that is better than the older GE. Several years ago, I opened a late '80's GE LED clock radio and it also used a dropping resistor instead of a step-down transformer.

Last edited by radiotvnut; 02-26-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

I think GE's early solid state radios were only average at best. Later in the 70's they got a lot better. Their portable Super Radios are very good though.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrand View Post
I think GE's early solid state radios were only average at best. Later in the 70's they got a lot better. Their portable Super Radios are very good though.
Most of the solid state radios of the day, weren't real hot performers. The first line operated solid state radios, built in the mid-to-later 60's, were hot chassis designs, like the older GE shown. The high voltage output transistors were good for at least a watt. They also used output transformers and sounded a little better than the later offerings.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got two earlier GE solid state clock radios, one from around '63 and the other one from around '64, that both use power transformers and they are rather tinny sounding. I have a '63 Motorola solid state clock radio that uses a power transformer and it is a much better radio than the GE's from the same period.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a 67-68 Motorola solid state am/fm table radio that's a great set too. Very sensitive and great sound. I'd put it up against any other one from that time, even Zenith.

To be fair to GE though, they did still make table radios long after most others gave them up. And, their early solid state stereo equipment was pretty decent.
Audiokarma
Old 02-27-2014, 05:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had a late '60's GE solid state console stereo that had sealed speaker enclosures and sounded very nice.

It's sad that one can't buy just a basic AM/FM table radio these days. The only exception might be some of those "audiopool" models; but, most everything made today includes a CD player, ipod dock, etc. I've actually had people express wanting a basic AM/FM table radio; but, couldn't find one on the new market.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have a Kay guitar amplifier, tube, that delivers about one Watt. It's fine for quiet playing but falls short when there are others playing.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
It's sad that one can't buy just a basic AM/FM table radio these days. The only exception might be some of those "audiopool" models.
Sangean makes some nice AM/FM table models, some with analog dials. This stereo model is pretty nifty:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...alty/4012.html
Analog Mono:
http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...alty/3854.html
not affiliated,
jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 02-28-2014 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added second link