Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppppenguin View Post
Since the US has a lower voltage supply than the UK the transformers need to be closer to people's houses to minimise voltage drop without spending a lot of money on thicker wires. So in urban and suburban areas in the UK is common practice to have a transformer in each street rather than one for every few houses.

One thing I noticed in the 'burbs around New York is that utility poles are rarely truly upright. A row of them looks like a group of drunks. Or perhaps that was just LILCO (Long Island Lighting Company) who don't have plumb bobs or spirit levels.
The LILCO installations have probably been there for a long time.
WE Energies just installed new distributions in this semi-rural area and they're perfectly plumb. The existing installations are starting to list rather badly.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
In a small village in Germany, it seemed to hop from house to house as if walls were utility ppoles
Remember seeing power lines strung house to house in Malta as well. Their plugs & sockets are the same 3 flat pins as here in England, I didn't know this first time I went & took Euro/UK adapters that I didn't need..
Old 06-09-2017, 11:11 AM
I love old stuff

Heh, back in the days we had in Bucharest 120/208 Volts. Last area with this voltage was transfered to 220/380 Volts in 1976. It was in the city center, on Calea Victoriei (Way of the Victory) area. They introduced 220 Volts in some villages around Bucharest (in 1950 some becamed part of the city). Durring comunst regime new neibghours and some new buldigins where put directly to 220 Volts. I think in my are some apartament buldings constructed in 1963 had 220 Volts, while the old house had 120 Volts. The neiberghood was switch to 220 Volts in the late '60's?
Oh, the old transformers had 5.000 Volts coming from the big transformers (it was an are with 6.000 Volts). 5.000 = thousand. After that they rasied the voltage to 10.000 Volts (10 k.V.)
We have D.I.N. electric sockets.
Nowdays the Voltage is 230/400 Volts. And in some are the voltage that feeds up the area transformer is 20.000 Volts.