Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2022, 11:50 AM
Sorry, Charlie

1977 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham St. Regis Coupe

When a car has a name like this one, you know it's a luxurious automobile, with a hefty 5600 lb curb weight, a large 440 cubic inch V8 pumping out over 400 ft lbs torque, thru a Chrysler 9.25" axle equipped with sure-grip differential. It moves pretty good for a heavy cruiser. Lincolns and Cadillacs of the same era don't stand a chance against a Chrysler like this one, haha! I've had many of these old Mopars, and this one is similar to my first car, which was a '76.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3D07257C-C2CF-4B6F-8496-D1494758ED46.jpg (129.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 2C01DD83-0C6C-42CB-BA62-485839D482DB.jpg (125.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 11-08-2022, 12:40 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Classic for its time!

Styling is similar to the 77 Thunderbird.

By 1977, makers were starting to get a bit better at performance vs. economy vs. smog controls, but nowhere near what a current design can do.

Out of curiosity, I looked up 0-60 mph times; estimate for the Chrysler is a bit over 12 seconds, and for the T-Bird, a bit less.

My 2003 Mercury Marauder claimed 6.9 seconds, and my 2013 Mustang V6, 6.7 seconds.
Old 11-08-2022, 01:08 PM
M is for Memory

Better than a Lincoln, surely you jest. My 78 Lincoln Mark V is longer, lighter, and has 20more cubic inches of engine. :p

That Chrysler is a pretty nice boat though. Treat her Right.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-08-2022, 03:31 PM
Sorry, Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Better than a Lincoln, surely you jest. My 78 Lincoln Mark V is longer, lighter, and has 20more cubic inches of engine. :p

Now now, I didn't say it was better, I said it can out gun it, even though your mk V is 20 more cubes, and my car is a tad heavier, my car is in a earlier state of tune, being at 74 spec 230 hp and 415 ft lbs. The Mk V is 230 inches long and 76-78 new yorkers are 231" long. It is in fact longer, haha! I love Lincolns. My dad had many when I was growing up in the 70's. My favorite was the '75 Mk IV Blue Diamond.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:56 PM
Sorry, Charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_tv_nut View Post
Classic for its time!

Styling is similar to the 77 Thunderbird.

By 1977, makers were starting to get a bit better at performance vs. economy vs. smog controls, but nowhere near what a current design can do.

Out of curiosity, I looked up 0-60 mph times; estimate for the Chrysler is a bit over 12 seconds, and for the T-Bird, a bit less.

My 2003 Mercury Marauder claimed 6.9 seconds, and my 2013 Mustang V6, 6.7 seconds.
That 0-60 time is for the 400 equipped car. The 440's are much quicker. Mine is under 10 secs. The trailer tow equipped cars are even quicker. I had a 74 U code 440 hp Imperial that was right at 8.5 secs 0-60 and for a mid 70's heavy cruiser, that was quick!
Old 11-09-2022, 10:26 AM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Tuna View Post
That 0-60 time is for the 400 equipped car. The 440's are much quicker. Mine is under 10 secs. The trailer tow equipped cars are even quicker. I had a 74 U code 440 hp Imperial that was right at 8.5 secs 0-60 and for a mid 70's heavy cruiser, that was quick!
Nice!
Old 11-13-2022, 09:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

I also had a 68 and 74 Imperial. That 74 was the best riding and most comfortable car I ever owned. I saw a nice 77 New Yorker Brougham listed around Tennessee that had been converted to what I assume was throttle body injection. The ad just stated ‘fuel injection’. I really wanted to check it out, but wife said no.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

Not to pile on here, but, I've got a whole picture album of the vintage Cadillacs and Lincolns I've owned, , , and the only MOPAR in the crew was my 1970 Road Runner. Generally, Chrysler products never really interested me.....
Old 11-14-2022, 09:58 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Not to pile on here, but, I've got a whole picture album of the vintage Cadillacs and Lincolns I've owned, , , and the only MOPAR in the crew was my 1970 Road Runner. Generally, Chrysler products never really interested me.....
More or less the same here except I've yet to own a mopar... I'd really like to own a forward look car but they're hard to find in that affordable driver middle ground between rusted out basket case and $60k restoration. Don't have time for a basket case, and if I'm going to spend 60k it's going to be towards a house not on a car...Also I don't want no stinking trailer queen that's too nice to actually drive.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 11-14-2022, 11:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
More or less the same here except I've yet to own a mopar... I'd really like to own a forward look car but they're hard to find in that affordable driver middle ground between rusted out basket case and $60k restoration. Don't have time for a basket case, and if I'm going to spend 60k it's going to be towards a house not on a car...Also I don't want no stinking trailer queen that's too nice to actually drive.
I only owned one GM product and that was enough to form an opinion on them. They're fine if you buy them new and trade them before the warrantee runs out!
Audiokarma