Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Audiotronics 326V motor issue

Here's an Audiotronics 326V classroom record player from '86 that I recently picked up. This model has a variable pitch control and uses a DC drive motor that I think is on it's way out (IIRC, the fixed speed models still used the more reliable AC motor). I've cleaned and relubricated the drive mechanism; but, the motor is very noisy when the player is in pause or neutral and a little noisy under load. Also, if you pause a record and return it back to play mode, the pitch control has to be readjusted. I tried oiling the motor; which, did no good. When I wiggle the shaft, it does move from side to side; so, I suspect the bushings are worn. This particular unit has a seperate control board for the motor speed and all I'm finding on the motor is that it is a 3.6V Matsushita motor with "HCN-5A2L" printed on the label. Of course, a web search of this number turns up nothing; so, I'm going to have to do more intensive research to find another motor. I like the older models with AC motors best because it seems like all they ever need is cleaning and lubrication.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like a very rare & strange motor/drive system. If the motor shaft is loose, and making noises, than the armature is probably rubbing into the field magnets. Probably another re-cycle bin canidate at this point (IMHO)

Tom (PK)
Old 04-17-2014, 12:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerking View Post
Looks like a very rare & strange motor/drive system. If the motor shaft is loose, and making noises, than the armature is probably rubbing into the field magnets. Probably another re-cycle bin canidate at this point (IMHO)

Tom (PK)
I've seen a motor of that type in the el-cheapo all-in-one stereo systems.
Makes like Soundesign and Emerson, built in the early 80's.
It looks like all the parts in that unit are of Foreign manufacture.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, it's all foreign.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 PM
M is for Memory

Thread title made me think it used a 326V motor, but that would not make sense in a phonograph.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 04-17-2014, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Yes, it's all foreign.
I thought Audiotronics was part of the old Setchell-Carlson firm. They always seemed to build a good quality product.
I wonder how much the original purchaser paid, for that glorified Soundesign product.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:46 PM
David Thomas

I worked on a lot of Audiotronics record players and cassette decks for the school system back when I had a shop. The ones I saw were all a little older than this one, and were certainly much higher quality. I suppose their quality must have really slid downhill in their later years.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Still no luck with finding a motor for this unit and no one that I've contacted has been able to help (why couldn't they have used a generic "off the shelf" motor?). Or, better yet, why couldn't they have used a more reliable AC motor that uses a disc attached to the bottom motor shaft and a permanent magnet to control speed? Oh, I know! Because it would cost them extra money.

I think the fixed speed of this unit used an AC motor and there are actual holes in the motorboard for the standard AC motor; so, I may be caught ripping te AC motor out of one of these junker record players and installing it in this unit. The only drawback will be that I lose variable speed control.

Now, let me make a note to myself not to ever buy anymore of these later run school record players that are known to use DC motors.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

I'd agree with you on the late school players. The older ones are easier to service, easier to find parts for. Not to mention better made.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:58 PM
Tubes Are Good

Wow the early school record players were pretty much bullet proof, this one doesn't look like it would stand up to much abuse. Looking at the motor in the pictures it looks like motors that were used in low end cassette decks, wonder if you could use one from a thrift store tape deck. Looks like an awful feeble motor for a record player.

P.S. I think it is cool that collectors are interested in these old players.
Audiokarma
Old 05-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

I agree with analog's thoughts. The old school phonos are neat. And very useful for 78 RPM duty.