Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Curbside at VideoKarma

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-30-2016, 09:48 PM
M is for Memory

I'll have to look for those. My industrial monitor still has a decent portion of the original screws, but it could use one or two more, and certainly does not have spares to lend the console.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great find! Can't be many of those around.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:50 PM
Mark

Awesome set! Gary sure finds awesome stuff in his neck of the woods. I still grin every time I see my ctc9 Kenbridge I'm glad you got it Tom!
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 AM
M is for Memory

Thanks.
Once I beat this lousy cold that has been plaguing me since monday I plan to go back out there and make what may be the final push towards a working set: Deflection/convergence set up and tuner cleaning (probably not in that order).

Old 11-20-2017, 01:17 AM
M is for Memory

Well, I finally got off my but and finished it...

...It took forever to do the setup on it. The raster had a mild horizontal keystone that was also totally messing up the dynamic convergence. It was impossible to get the dynamic anywhere near acceptable. After several tries, I started throwing stuff at the wall...And unplugging the brown wire from the yoke to the pincushion stuck...It cured the keystone AND the dynamic convergence instantly improved to a comparatively perfect state.
I'm going to have to try that trick on my similar S-C monitor (which IIRC had the same symptoms). http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...light=Setchell

One odd thing I noticed is that the yoke has to be kind of far back to achieve good purity. Usually, they are a good 1/4"+ closer to the bell.

One day I'll have to reconnect/reconstruct the internal degaussing coils. In these sets, they are driven off the B+ boost through some resistors and a switch. There is a 2uF 400V cap (that I guess shorted) to ground beyond those resistors...Someone clipped the resistors (defeated the adjacent blue gun killer switch so blue is always on) and removed the wire between the degauss coils and the degauss switch...If I had a new 2uF cap on hand I'd have fixed it, but since I didn't I decided I can externally degauss it just fine for now.

Audiokarma
Old 11-20-2017, 03:21 AM
Workin' Late Again

Very cool. I was wondering just a few days ago about when this project might resurface.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:55 PM
BigDavesTV

Looking very good, Tom!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:43 PM
M is for Memory

Thanks!

I tried the brown wire trick on the monitor...No dice. I'll probably have to rebuild the convergence board (the pots are rusty as the Titanic) on the monitor to get it as nice as this console.

Yesterday I got my bulk shipment of phono pickup cartridges so I've been doing lots of phono work...Favorite so far is an RCA accessory 45RPM changer (I'm listening to it now)....Idler was still good, all I had to do was change the cart (ironically I used a period correct one, instead of the new ones), and get the changer mech working...It is decent but needs one setting tweaked for max stack height and it needs a slight tilt to keep the cycle cam from catching and triggering endless changer cycles. The 'new' period correct RCA cart is a stereo cart so I rewired the unit for stereo (even was able to tweak the mono changer cycle mute switch to support stereo mute ) Been using it with a Zenith Stereo FM table radio, and my collection of 45's (Which I haven't touched in ~10 years)...What a blast, one really needs a changer to enjoy a collection singles.

Old 11-22-2017, 03:20 PM
Motorola Minion

Great work Tom. You could be the VK expert on S-C with your luck finding them and undoing past work-arounds. Gumball is a freakishly funny cartoon (your 1st pic)

I used reformed caps long ago, I had more junk chassis than money. It seemed one part of a 4-section can was always open in an RCA it was usually caused by heat migrating from a hot power resistor connected to it.