Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Curbside at VideoKarma

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2017, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Muntz color set in DC

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/...369867473.html

Interesting... I didn't realize there were Muntz color TVs.
Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA clone? Looks mighty similar to my CTC-11s.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 11-03-2017, 08:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm thinking a CTC-12 clone. Might just need a good setup-that picture looks very promising. You'll be the only one on your block with a Muntz color, for certain!
Old 11-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Administrator

The antenna leads hook directly to the CRT, who needs circuits.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:17 PM
Workin' Late Again

I think I may have a replacement Fly for that set.

Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2017, 01:12 AM
VideoKarma Member

This chassis seems to be a CTC 15 clone like my Maggie and rca I wanted this set judging by the photos it looks to have a bad convergence or color sync problem I offers to by it he's asking 250 he only came down 10 buds?????
Old 11-12-2017, 10:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom franco View Post
he only came down 10 buds?????
What is the street value of 10 buds nowadays?

Old 11-12-2017, 01:42 PM
M is for Memory

Budweiser is ~$22 for a 12 pack. So about $20.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:54 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
RCA clone? Looks mighty similar to my CTC-11s.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Until I read your post, I thought any Muntz color TV would have had the same signal circuits as their b&w sets and would be nearly unusable in any reception area other than urban or near-suburban, at best. Most Muntz b&w TVs used in my area, 35 miles from the Cleveland TV stations, would probably require an amplified outdoor antenna or, these days, cable or satellite, as these sets simply were not meant to be used in far-suburban, near-fringe or outright fringe areas.

Perhaps this is why Muntz used an RCA chassis in this color set. I had a Silvertone roundie years ago, in the early 1970s, which probably was an RCA clone; it produced usable pictures with rabbit ears where I lived at the time (an eastern Cleveland suburb some eight miles from downtown and perhaps 10-12 miles from the TV stations), but I wouldn't have expected the set to work well, or at all, any real distance from the towers (such as where I live today) unless an outdoor antenna was used.

BTW: The Craigslist link for the posting dealing with the Muntz color set in DC will no longer work; it probably has been deleted by the person who originally posted it. I clicked it a few minutes ago and saw an error message: "This posting has been deleted." This is probably why the posting (what's left of it) shows a small photo of the TV.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 11-12-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:26 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
Until I read your post, I thought any Muntz color TV would have had the same signal circuits as their b&w sets and would be nearly unusable in any reception area other than urban or near-suburban, at best. Most Muntz b&w TVs used in my area, 35 miles from the Cleveland TV stations, would probably require an amplified outdoor antenna or, these days, cable or satellite, as these sets simply were not meant to be used in far-suburban, near-fringe or outright fringe areas.

Perhaps this is why Muntz used an RCA chassis in this color set. I had a Silvertone roundie years ago, in the early 1970s, which probably was an RCA clone; it produced usable pictures with rabbit ears where I lived at the time (an eastern Cleveland suburb some eight miles from downtown and perhaps 10-12 miles from the TV stations), but I wouldn't have expected the set to work well, or at all, any real distance from the towers (such as where I live today) unless an outdoor antenna was used.
Every Muntz color sold (at least into the late 60's) was an RCA clone...Muntz was selling CTC-5 clones as their first color sets and stuck with RCA clones.

What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Reading between the scan lines since the mid 2000's.
Audiokarma
Old 11-12-2017, 09:10 PM
sampson159

saw 2 muntz roundies here in columbus ohio.both were rca clones and although the crts were very healthy,they were very poorly aligned and it was harder than hell to pull in a good station.our shop was about 4 miles from channel 6 and we could barely get a passable image.after some alignment of the if coils and a really good outdoor antenna,we pulled in a really nice picture on it.the other one seems to have had so many issues that the customer didnt want it repaired.it was scrapped but as i recall,the crt was pretty good and used in another set.they were bare bones minimum with no frills.the dumonts of the same era were first class clones.a few of those filtered their way to our shop.those were held in high regard by mr dixon.he told us about muntz and his cutters in his back pocket.he also had a high regard for the andreas and hoffman sets that came our way.his own personal choice was zenith because of handwiring and dependability.those were his watchers at home.he taught a class at the high school and one complete week was on earl muntz and allen dumont.he called it from the bottom to the top
Old 11-28-2017, 08:25 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Yes, and in electronics terminology it was called Muntzing, breaking a circuit down to the minimum number of parts required for it to work. Earl and his cutters hard at work.