Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

User181, anything you do is helpful to me. I can poke around a tube amp, but I’m just getting my feet wet in tv.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911nutjob View Post
I had it open when it first arrived to attach the power cord, don’t remember seeing any notable labels other than the CRT. I could check again. If it helps at all, the uhf tuner does not have the click stops. I’d gladly post pics but I don’t know what to do since the photobucket fiasco.

The tube lineup is 2gk5, 4lj8, 8ar11, 6lt8, 8bu11, 8bq11, 12jf5, 17bw3, 6ac10, 11fy7, 1ad2, 11bt11, and 12bf11.
Looking at your entry #9, you state that the CRT is an 11SP22. I wonder if that's the original CRT.
I have an HD chassis that uses the 12JF5 and 17BW3, plus the 11WP22 and uses a 1DB3 HV rectifier instead of the 1AD2.
If you check carefully, the chassis number might stamped on the HV cage.
BTW, did you check to see if the mini-manual is in the small compartment on the back of the set?
Old 12-15-2017, 09:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mistake on Mini-manual!

None of my Porta-Colors came through with Mini-Manuals. Only the newer solid state models had them.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
None of my Porta-Colors came through with Mini-Manuals. Only the newer solid state models had them.
Mine did NOT have the mini manual.😡☹️ I’m going off of memory on the CRT, so I could be wrong on the number. It’s also entirely possible this isn’t the original tube, as I bought it restored from a guy who says he was an authorized service technician when these were on the store shelves. I’m familiar with 12ax7’s and the like, compactrons are new territory for me.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

Got another clue; mine looks identical to a ‘72 model another member here sent me a photo of.
Audiokarma
Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Mine did NOT have the mini manual.��☹️ I’m going off of memory on the CRT, so I could be wrong on the number. It’s also entirely possible this isn’t the original tube, as I bought it restored from a guy who says he was an authorized service technician when these were on the store shelves. I’m familiar with 12ax7’s and the like, compactrons are new territory for me.
It's probably two or more sets made into one!
I scrapped a 1970 set that had a 11WP22 from new, so the 11SP22 was from an earlier model.
Compactron tubes are multi-section tubes that are really not that different than single or dual unit tubes that you're familiar with.
Example: the 6AC10 is like a triple unit 12AU7. Looking at the schematic will help you understand.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
Compactron tubes are multi-section tubes that are really not that different than single or dual unit tubes that you're familiar with.

Example: the 6AC10 is like a triple unit 12AU7. Looking at the schematic will help you understand.

Yea. Consider Compactrons to be the electron tube equivalent of a silicon integrated circuit chip, in a way. Loosely equivalent in principle.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Yea. Consider Compactrons to be the electron tube equivalent of a silicon integrated circuit chip, in a way. Loosely equivalent in principle.
It’s just gonna be awhile before I have the numerics down. I can tell what a gz34 or 6973 does off the top of my head. Been reading up on concepts I didn’t need to know before like convergence and sync too. Thanks to a pm here I have another working set on its way to me; you guys are great! Keep the good stuff coming.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
It’s just gonna be awhile before I have the numerics down. I can tell what a gz34 or 6973 does off the top of my head. Been reading up on concepts I didn’t need to know before like convergence and sync too. Thanks to a pm here I have another working set on its way to me; you guys are great! Keep the good stuff coming.
Not many people who work on old radios or amplifiers are familiar with Compactron tubes. It's strictly a TV thing, especially GE's.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:29 AM
M is for Memory

There were/are some compactron based audio amps, but not many.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 12-17-2017, 12:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
There were/are some compactron based audio amps, but not many.
Weren't you thinking of Novar based tubes, 7868 RCA's answer to the 7591?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:03 PM
M is for Memory

Possible, I tend to think of all (non-octal) tubes of that diameter as compactrons irrespective of their pin count. The one vintage amp I saw was in an organ...I don't remember the number and never pulled the tube.

Audiophiles are making amps with compactrons now as a way to use cheaper tubes.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 12-18-2017, 02:50 AM
VideoKarma Member

Since the conversation has shifted focus to compactrons, I guess now is the time to ask. Can you guys recommend a compactron tester I could find easily on fleabay? If one tube goes bad I don’t want to do the Christmas light trial and error thingy. Series string isn’t something you typically see on the hifi side.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Since the conversation has shifted focus to compactrons, I guess now is the time to ask. Can you guys recommend a compactron tester I could find easily on fleabay? If one tube goes bad I don’t want to do the Christmas light trial and error thingy. Series string isn’t something you typically see on the hifi side.
A tube manual and multi-meter set on ohms or continuity is all you need to find an open heater. Compactron tubes, the heater pin are 1&12, either side of the gap.
Re: the tube checker! A Sencore Mighty-mite or other modern tube checker that has Compactron and Novar sockets would do fine.
I bought a full compliment of tubes for my PortaColors, except the 12JF5 for a buck each from ESRC, dollar-days list.
For the damper tube I use a 19CG3 instead. It's a better tube and two extra volts in the heater string is better.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
since the conversation has shifted focus to compactrons, i guess now is the time to ask. Can you guys recommend a compactron tester i could find easily on fleabay? If one tube goes bad i don’t want to do the christmas light trial and error thingy. Series string isn’t something you typically see on the hifi side.
eico 667, that's what I use and I am very happy with it. If you don't plan on getting too heavy into this, a spare set of tubes you can substitute in as required would be much cheaper
Audiokarma