Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:02 PM
TheUniversalDave1

My new Zenith 25MC36!!

Just went and picked this up today in the really "good" part of town for $20. I'm convinced that it has no less than 6 million hours on it, the cathodes are absolutely burned black. I brought the CR70, and at first, it showed a dead HK short. I reseated the socket and was able to get a better connection. The CRT is very tired, but it does have emmission. More to come later. On the road home.

Please pardon my stupidity on the title. I obviously meant 25MC36, not 56.

Also, a Huge Thanks to Madrad45, who found this set for me.

Last edited by TUD1; 04-10-2017 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:41 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Been checking toobs and cleaning this thing for the past three hours. One things for certain - it needs a buttload of work. The CRT socket is toasty, the blue lateral and purity ring assembly is toasty, it needs no less than 14 tubes replaced. Amazingly, the picture tube responded very well to the Auto Restore function on my CR70. I haven't even made it to the tuner yet either, with has a frozen motor.

Old 03-10-2017, 06:54 AM
M is for Memory

Zeniths have a hard time coming to to terms with not being immortal....Sets that don't die easy tend to accumulate hours....My 71' hybrid probably comes close to what that set has seen.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-10-2017, 07:39 AM
TheUniversalDave1

I was up past midnight replacing the CRT socket and freeing up the tuner motor. Just gotta find 14 tubes now.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

That's a fine chassis! They can make a good picture. Watch out for the power supply electrolytics and vertical integrators. The integrators are notorius for linearity problems. If it looks like a keystoned yoke, check your electrolytics, especially if it has been brought back to life for a while. The electrolytic feeding the vertical output transformer dies and will look just like a bad yoke.
My NC chassis CRT at it's neck base is black too!
Space Command too! A lightweight TV to carry! (RIGHT!)
Audiokarma
Old 03-10-2017, 10:28 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Yeah, I'm not really looking forward to replacing those capacitors. It did produce a dim, confetti filled raster when I bought it, but I have not turned it on since.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:26 AM
Motorola Minion

For $20, I would have bought and made room for that one too! Congratulations Dave. Rare is the Zenith of this vintage that does NOT produce a raster. Enjoy!!!

My only TV-stereo combo is a non-remote 25MC36 in the same style-finish as yours. That one I have not gotten around to power up yet, so this is fun to watch. Make sure to stabilize that horizontal efficiency coil so it doesn't pop-apart on you, at the rear left corner under the 6BK4

That late 1965 chassis was followed by two more roundie chassis. It is actually a like the 24MC32 chassis with a pincushion circuit added for the "new rectangular tube", also omitted on the last similar round-screen chassis 24NC31, etc. The 25NC38 was the second series of rectangular tube TVs. Another workhorse predating the 20X1C36/38, first to use the 6HS5 pulse regulator in place of the 6BK4C-6EL4A shunt reg.

Use an old toothbrush to clean the top-sides of the terminal strips and make sure they are still soldered at the chassis grounds. High hours combined with some vibration challenges even the most robust dip-soldered service-saver chassis.

EDIT_ looking at your chassis, the efficiency coil is under the chassis and next to the damper tube.

Last edited by DavGoodlin; 03-10-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: eff coil error
Old 03-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I was up past midnight replacing the CRT socket and freeing up the tuner motor. Just gotta find 14 tubes now.
Checking my stock - if I have any you need, they're free for postage, as I have Zero Zenith TVs...9 radios though..
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 03-10-2017, 03:57 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Checking my stock - if I have any you need, they're free for postage, as I have Zero Zenith TVs...9 radios though..
I found all the tubes I need with the exception of a 6JS6 and two 6JH8's. I'll have to see if anybody around here has before I ship any in.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:32 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Is there any particular reason why I can't find a SINGLE 6JH8 in my entire big box o' tubes? Been searching for a 6JH8 for hours, and it's hopeless. Found about 357 6GH8's though.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Some days you get the bear; others it gets you! I've had that feeling with valves too.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Is there any particular reason why I can't find a SINGLE 6JH8 in my entire big box o' tubes? Been searching for a 6JH8 for hours, and it's hopeless. Found about 357 6GH8's though.
I think I might have those two tubes you're looking for in my tube stash somewhere, I'll take a look when I get a chance, seeing as I'm probably never going to find an old Zenith Tube powered Color TV anytime soon near me, I might as well give the tubes to someone who can use them.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:26 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Got the Zenith up and running today. It needs A HOLE LOTTA HELP though. I'll have to go in and check out the sweep circuits, as you can see in the pix, they need help. I'll be getting two NOS 6JH8's tomorrow, I'm sure that will help the color. May have to adjust the 3.58 MHz oscillator. Making progress though. The third pix is after a very crude convergence job and vertical height/linearity adjustment.

Old 03-12-2017, 10:23 AM
M is for Memory

You may want to recap he convergence board and replace the convergence rectifiers if the convergence won't improve....Though that raster distortion seems indicative of additional problems that may be affecting both systems.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-12-2017, 11:44 AM
TheUniversalDave1

Just discovered a very annoying problem that has me stumped. I noticed that when I tried to adjust fine tuning from the front, nothing would happen. I replaced the little rubber belt, thinking it wasn't turning the little gear inside the tuner. However, the little gear inside the tuner isn't even turning the tuning slugs at all. It, just free wheeling, and not adjusting the fine tuning. WTF?

Audiokarma