Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Westinghouse H22T155

One of these sets has come up for sale in my area, they tell me that someone valued the set at $3000 and they are asking $2400 and say the picture tube is shot. Anyone have an idea what the value truly is?

Gregb
Old 06-21-2015, 11:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Update, I have been in contact with the owner and the CRT status is unknown. They tried plugging it in and did not get a picture so assumed that the CRT is bad. The CRT has not been tested. I told them not to try it anymore to prevent any damage. I can get it for a much better price than advertised but still high for me. Anyone have an idea of value? ITs a floor model and looks to be in pretty good condition.
Thanks

Gregb
Old 06-22-2015, 12:55 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

There are only three of those known to exist. It could easily be worth that asking price, it seems to me.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

That set uses a 22EP22 right? The rectangular one.

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

When there are few or no sales for comparison, it's hard to pin a price on something. You can do as realtors do, and look for "comps," i.e., values for similar items, but that's really guesswork.

The ETF page mentions that these tubes weren't the greatest (convergence problems). I wonder if that means that few were made? Before plunking down big bucks, I would try like heck to test this tube, and also do some investigation into what other tubes, if any, might be used as a sub. I'm not one of those people who enjoys owning non-working doorstops. If there's no way on Earth to make a set work, I don't want it at any price.

Just my $0.02.

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Audiokarma
Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
When there are few or no sales for comparison, it's hard to pin a price on something. You can do as realtors do, and look for "comps," i.e., values for similar items, but that's really guesswork.
Very hard to set a fair price... I got mine from an ex Westinghouse engineer when I was helping him move (about 25 years ago)... It was *FREE* and included free delivery! Since, I have been told that the value *could* be in the range of a pre-war set!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
do some investigation into what other tubes, if any, might be used as a sub. I'm not one of those people who enjoys owning non-working doorstops. If there's no way on Earth to make a set work, I don't want it at any price.
After Westinghouse gave up on building the CRT they sold off some remaining stock cheap to Westinghouse employees and redesigned the set to take a 21 inch round tube (21CYP22) for the 1958 model year. Perhaps a similar mod could be accomplished, but what would be the point? The very interesting 22EP22 would be gone.
I would rather have the set non-working with the (RARE) original CRT than with a substitute (but working) CRT.

jr
Old 06-22-2015, 07:14 PM
Administrator

That tube used a standard large neck delta gun didn't it? So as long as it's not physically broken it might be a candidate for a rebuild some day?

Set's rare but I'd be very hesitant to pay that much loot for it, it's interesting but not in the same historic league as the 15GP22 based sets.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a link to a restoration thread on one of those sets.

http://videokarma.org/showthread.php...+22+inch+color

In the thread is discussed the apocryphal issue of the convergence problems.

They are nice sets that can display a great picture. Go for it if you can.

Steve
Old 06-22-2015, 09:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Rare everywhere, and I would have to think particularly so where you are. For value, I would look at what a CTC-4 or 5 would sell for in similar condition and in your area. Some would find the Westinghouse more desirable, some less so. I think it would be a very neat thing to own, assuming the crt is good.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

I get the set this coming Saturday and condition of the sale is I test the CRT and see what kind of shape it is in. I have negotiated a much better price and its pretty much a done deal unless the CRT is dead.
It looks to be in very good condition and has always been in the house. I am willing to bet that the chassis looks like new as most radios and TV's around here do.

Gregb
Audiokarma
Old 06-22-2015, 09:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Certainly a rarity, and SteveK's restoration saga is very interesting. Let's hope the CRT is good.

Phil Nelson
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am hoping for the best. I did see Steve's restoration and may be looking for some help with this one. I have never worked on a colour set as they are super rare around here.

Gregb
Old 06-23-2015, 05:15 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

Regun The CRT!

Even if it's dead, it could be rebuilt as long as it doesn't have a leak. I question that though, since it's been proven that these CRT's have shadow mask issues that would prevent them being used in real life.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am hoping the CRT is still good and to me even if I can't get a perfect picture I will still be happy with it. Colour sets in my area are super rare so to get one like this is a real prize and I look forward to owning it.

Gregb
Old 06-23-2015, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nick,

I'm not sure if all those tubes had a shadow mask problem. After rereading the restoration thread the one I restored may have had that problem as a result of being knocked around in the Northridge quake.

Steve
Audiokarma