Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-03-2017, 08:31 AM
VideoKarma Member

Well , it finally happened to me !

Yep , it did ......

The thing all we electronic collectors pray for . Over the past several days I have been taking delivery of the entire contents of a radio/TV repair shop that went defunct in the mid 1980s . All the stuff was put into storage and sat there till a buddy who buys old storage containers got it (kinda like "storage wars" but this guy has no real competition in my area) , and he gave me my choice pick of the entire contents . This is an "unpicked" collection , all the big names in tubes are here ; 6L6WGB , 6LQ6 , EL84 , and so on . So far I have brought home all the tubes (most brand new in their boxes , and a few boxes of used "pulls" , of course) 4 different tube testers , countless meters and other test equipment , even a 1077B TV analyst that looks brand new in it's original box . I have several Sony tiny TVs from the 1970s (?) , a bunch of brand new transistors , Zenith TV modules , and just way too much stuff to list . As to big TVs , I'm hoping the next container we open may have some roundie color sets (we've opened 2 of the 6 containers so far) and so the adventure will continue as we open more of the containers (each is the kind of metal shipping container that would be used to transport goods aboard a ship , so most of the stuff stayed nice & dry) .

Now , as some of you may know , init4fun is not really a "TV collector" per se , I collect all vacuum tube electronics but with a specific preference to radios . I will be restoring such gems as the mint condition tiny RCA 1950's red portable TV that looks like an 8 (?) inch screen but I will be selling/trading/giving a bunch of it away to both lighten my collection load and to get the stuff into the hands of fellow collectors . In the coming days/weeks as time allows I'll be sorting what I will keep VS sell/trade/give and will notify my fellow VK members accordingly . (remember , init4fun is an old retired guy so it may take me a while to go through it all) .

So , here's a little teaser of just what kind of stuff I got ........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clock 1.jpg (59.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg clock 2.jpg (68.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Parts 2.jpg (63.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 06-03-2017, 09:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

My congrats/condolences on your acquisition. Logistically, do you have to move it all out, or can you organize/sort/distribute on-site? Get to keep the containers? Have a place to keep them?

Don't know if there's enough of a business case to organize, catalog, store, and sell parts by order, short-term or long-term, to make it worth your while, or even make it "self-supporting", but sounds like an interesting challenge to be sure.

Approximately where are you, geographically? And, let me know if you run across old professional audio recording equipment, mixers, mics, etc.

Good luck, and keep the pictures coming!
Chip
Old 06-03-2017, 11:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank You for the reply Chip .

I am in Massachusetts , just about a couple miles east of Rhode Island . Sadly , I must make REALLY quick decisions and be there on the days my friend is working on this , the way this goes with him is this ; He buys all kinds of storage containers on the cheap , he paid $300 each for the six he bought , and he cleans them out selling anything valuable or giving the stuff to friends like me if we want it , then he rehabs the storage containers and sells them for $3K delivered each . The stuff inside the containers , if he can't liquidate it instantly into cash , is considered waste and is disposed of or in this case since he knew his vacuum tube crazy buddy would want it he gave it all to me . We have only opened 2 of the 6 he bought from the same estate so I'm in the process of teaching him what a color "roundie" is and what a CT-100 looks like so nothing bad happens on a day when I'm not there and another container gets opened .

If I do find any high end recording equipment I will of course post it up , but so far it's been all TVs , radios , and test equipment/parts .

Here are a couple more quick pics , one of the cute lil RCA I plan to restore and just how many tube caddies (chock full of brand new , not already been "cherrypicked" glorious wonderful tubes ) can you spot in the pic ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV stuff 1.jpg (57.6 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg TV stuff 2.jpg (56.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 06-03-2017, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a pair of those little TVs, one in red/gold and one in ivory/gold.

Looks like you've got some goodies to go thru. If you had the capital, pay him the 3K per container he would get, sort/liquidate the contents, then sell off the containers yourself and get all your money back, plus the time to sort things out, and the money from selected contents. But that would be like work...

Chip
Old 06-03-2017, 11:50 AM
M is for Memory

A good way to dispose of it rapidly would be to hit local antique radio swap-meets and ham fests with as much as you can pack. The SS era stuff is more likely to sell to hams IMO.

It looks like good stuff. If you were local I'd offer my services in processing that stuff.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 06-03-2017, 12:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thank You guys , I got a few more pics here . There is a Sony "Video Walkman" small LCD screen color TV with a built in videotape player and speaking of videotape , I've got an Akai video recorder here that uses "reel to reel" videotape instead of a cartridge so I figure this is gonna make some collector happy . There is a box of approximately 25 TV "clickers" , some like I've never seen before like the one button Zenith unit in the picture .

Oh , and Chip , as much as I'd love to save each and every piece , I am an old guy whose physical limitations make such an undertaking impossible , if I had to empty these things myself I'd need 3 lifetimes , VS the small crew he has working on emptying them (he pays "day laborers" to do the heavy lifting) .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TV stuff 4.jpg (57.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg TV stuff 5.jpg (58.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg TV stuff 6.jpg (57.1 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg TV stuff 7.jpg (66.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg TV stuff 8.jpg (47.5 KB, 41 views)
Old 06-03-2017, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

PS , I said "mid 1980s" as a guess as to when the TV shop may have ceased operation , because that's the latest dates I found on the invoices and other paperwork associated with the repair of TVs , but some of the contents of the storage appear to be from as late as 1999 (I found a brand new in the package "boom box" style radio with a 1999 manufacture date stamped on it) .
Old 06-03-2017, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Love that clock! Color me jealous! I've been keeping my eye out for something like that. Nice score.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thank You for the response Madlabs , The way to getting what you want is to make sure as many of your friends as possible know what you want , and stuff like this will turn up . I have been collecting vacuum tube equipment , radios mostly but in reality any gadget containing a vacuum tube is fair game for my collection , since the 1960s and this is only my second major score of antique electronica .

So , as time goes on and I get things sorted , things will be offered for sale , for trade , and for free . Believe me , I have no intention of profiteering or price gouging anyone , in fact since I'm not a "regular" seller my plan is to sell/trade the stuff I don't want at steep discounts from the normal prices all the established sellers get just to get the stuff outta my shed and into the hands of fellow collectors who can use it . The small things , tubes & such , I will be willing to ship but anything "bigger than a breadbox" will most certainly be LPU only . I will properly post the for sale and for trade items in the for sale section , but the for free local pickup only I'll post them here just to not go making a million different threads on this collection .

As a start on the free stuff , first up is this poor rusty Motorola . This poor soul was in the storage area that leaked (obviously) and I believe is too far gone for restoration . The picture tube is holding vacuum and with 6.3 AC applied to the heater pins the heater lit properly for a 15 minute test run . The plastic (fiberglass ?) back is in near perfect condition with only one tiny crack near the power cord interlock where it looks like someone once over tightened the screw . All knobs are present and were it not for the rust I'd say it would be a keeper but as it sits someone who has one whose looking for a good back , knobs , and most likely CRT , may just want to pick this up .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Motorola TV 1.jpg (59.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Motorola TV 2.jpg (74.9 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Motorola TV 3.jpg (53.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Motorola TV 4.jpg (15.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Motorola TV 5.jpg (51.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Motorola TV 6.jpg (44.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-04-2017, 02:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

THAT stuff is junk pure garbage material. i will come get it out of you way . lol congratulations on the find.
Audiokarma
Old 06-04-2017, 05:12 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Looks like a 17p5 motorola too far for me to come save.. If the cord, tuner, and knobs were salvageable, ide have a need for one i have here..

Still looking for the next model up, the 17P6 as my avatar states..

SR
Old 06-05-2017, 09:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

INit4fun, if you decide to sell the clock let me know! Enjoy digging through your new treasures, in my book that is the most fun. Even more fun than having what you are looking for is discovering it. So have fun!
Old 06-05-2017, 03:04 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Nice haul.

I used to love going through old shops, getting stuff. Lately though, all I seem to be offered are "Vacation" parts - parts taken out of the package, soldered in a circuit, de-soldered, and returned to the open package. Sorting the good from the chaff took too much time, so I started passing on offers.

Latest was a gun shop that also did TV repair - the owner had progressive MS - and closed in the late 90s. I was the "first" called by the owners son (we both grew up in TV shops and know each other) and was offered 3 bankers boxes of transistors and chips for free - just come get them. I couldn't pass it up, but just more of the same - can't really use it, can't offload it on eBay (folks want new-in-the-sealed package parts...), and really have no use for 40 or 50 questionable chips, or even NIB vertical chips for old 70's Bohsei/Sears sets. Lots of GE stuff, but nothing useful. I found a .38 bullet in one Zenith box, and I did get his soldering iron/soldering gun tips, so my time wasn't entirely wasted. The son is keeping his test equipment for himself.

I passed on all the tubes, much to their delight - there is a local tube cherry picker wanting a few audiophile tubes, so maybe they can make a buck.
As to sets, he had only a couple of 19" SS black and white sets missing knobs and with broken antenna rods. Those are headed for the dumpster.

It's always sad to me to see an older shop fold - there are but two remaining old-school shops here in the area, and one is a ripoff that has been around for about 50 years. To me, 3 pages of Yellow Pages advertising=ripoff, as just one column inch ads used to sell for $200 / year.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 06-07-2017, 05:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey Guys , Thank You for the responses , I appreciate them . Now , two nice folks have PMed me , one asking about the clock and one asking about record players (turntable) . While I have no problem with the PMs , I'd rather all the conversations be held in this thread so everyone knows where things stand . So , let me say that no , the clock is not for sale , I've wanted one for quite some time to display in the antique electronics room and it fits the bill nicely . As to record players , so far all I've seen are the kinda junkish ones that came married to the top of the black plastic "all in one" units that were popular back during the 80s . No real "high end" stuff for sure , but there are still more containers to be opened/emptied .

Now , as to the rusty Motorola , I'm serious that it's 100% free no strings attached , just that it has to be picked up in eastern Massachusetts . I will hold onto it for a while to see if it has anyone who wants it , but eventually if not given away it'll end up going to the recycle due to my preparing for a move next year (the whole "empty nest" downsizing thing) .

So , one more call ; any takers for a free rusty Motorola with a likely good CRT ?
Old 06-07-2017, 10:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

You found your Akai fan. Let me know.