Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:02 PM
Looking For Time

There are a few sets there that I wouldn't mind forking over $2,700 for
Old 03-14-2015, 10:09 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve D. View Post
John,

I apologize for the text resolution. My scanner was at fault. I photographed the text which should be easier to read.

-Steve D.
Many thanks for posting that information. I think everyone was thinking of the photo of Charles A. Seidel and his amazing 7" TV collection in the Flick Of The Switch.
Kent Warner indirectly sparked my interest in vintage TV's way back around 1980 when I was 13. He had a short article about TV collecting in a book simply called "TV Book" by Judy Fireman from 1977 (http://www.amazon.com/TV-Book-The-Ul.../dp/0894800027), which is in my book collection now. It features his TRK-12, which he mentions that he recently purchased, his 3" Pilot that he "rescued from a junk-pile", and his RCA 621TS. I instantly became fascinated, but back then you really didn't see the early sets turning-up anywhere, so I began collecting radios. I did eventually end-up with the Pilot and RCA 621 though!
Sorry to hear Kent passed years ago. I would have loved to see some good photo's of his collection.
Joe

Last edited by decojoe67; 03-14-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Many thanks for posting that information. I think everyone was thinking of the photo of Charles A. Seidel and his amazing 7" TV collection in the Flick Of The Switch.
Kent Warner indirectly sparked my interest in vintage TV's way back around 1980 when I was 13. He had a short article about TV collecting in a book simply called "TV Book" by Judy Fireman from 1977 (http://www.amazon.com/TV-Book-The-Ul.../dp/0894800027), which is in my book collection now. It features his TRK-12, which he mentions that he recently purchased, his 3" Pilot that he "rescued from a junk-pile", and his RCA 621TS. I instantly became fascinated, but back then you really didn't see the early sets turning-up anywhere, so I began collecting radios. I did eventually end-up with the Pilot and RCA 621 though!
Sorry to hear Kent passed years ago. I would have loved to see some good photo's of his collection.
Joe
John,

I also have both of those books in my collection. Purchased at the time of their publication so many years ago. Included is the iconic photo, you mentioned, of Chuck Seidel w/his "stacked" collection of vintage 7" TV sets from the book "A Flick of the Switch". And a portion of Kent Warner's article from the book "TV Book". These and a few others, including the late Ed Reitan, & Gary Hough are the early pioneers of vintage TV collecting long before the internet. Sorry to say when I visited Kent Warner's home back in the 70's I didn't have a camera w/me. I know of no other photos other than the TV Guide article and TV Book photo.

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flick of a switch-3.jpg (105.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Kent Warner TV Book-2.jpg (146.6 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Steve D.; 03-14-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
John,

I also have both of those books in my collection. Purchased at the time of their publication so many years ago. Included is the iconic photo, you mentioned, of Chuck Seidel w/his "stacked" collection of vintage 7" TV sets from the book "A Flick of the Switch". And a portion of Kent Warner's article from the book "TV Book". These and a few others, including the late Ed Reitan, & Gary Hough are the early pioneers of vintage TV collecting long before the internet. Sorry to say when I visited Kent Warner's home back in the 70's I didn't have a camera w/me. I know of no other photos other than the TV Guide article and TV Book photo.

-Steve D.
Interesting Steve. So great that you got to see Kent's collection. It would be great to scan in the other couple of pages for those interested to see too. Next to the TV Guide piece and the book, I personally can't think of an earlier article on vintage TV collecting. I would also include Dan Gustafson as an early serious TV collector. I have a few pages from Video magazine from the early '80's that mentioned his collection - another interesting piece that first whetted my interest!
Joe
Old 03-15-2015, 08:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

Danny Gustafson, Jack Davis and Arnold Chase were the major early collectors. Here is an article from Popular Mechanics in 1985.

Notice the mention of the UCLA collection at the end of the article. This was surely a refference to Ed Reitan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan011.JPG (112.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg scan012.JPG (140.6 KB, 31 views)
Audiokarma
Old 03-15-2015, 08:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Danny's house was full of RCA stuff, as were two condo's he had that were just to store more stuff (no one living in them or any real furniture), and several storage units around Chicago. Here are just a few pictures of his house and one of the condo's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dan2.JPG (42.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg dan3.JPG (54.2 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg dan5.JPG (44.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg dan6.JPG (56.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg dan10.JPG (73.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-15-2015, 12:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here is yet another article on vintage TV collecting from VIDEO Magazine
March, 1985. Scanned as best I can without breaking the binding. Danny is mentioned here as well. UCLA did and still has a collection of vintage TV's apart from Ed Reitan's collection. Both Ed & I had sets there for a while. The collection was not on public display. I did have the pleasure of joining my good friend Ed Reitan and Danny Gustafson for dinner some years ago when Danny visited Los Angeles. Sadly, both have passed. What a wonderful evening of TV talk that was.

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Video Mag. March '85 #1-2.jpg (143.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Video Mag. March '85 #2A-2.jpg (131.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Video Mag. March '85 #3-2.jpg (146.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Video Mag. March '85 #4-2.jpg (146.9 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Steve D.; 03-15-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Here is yet another article on vintage TV collecting from VIDEO Magazine
I wonder what happened to the big RCA set mentioned in the corner article about Danny.

What model would that be, and does anyone have pictures of it?

Old 03-15-2015, 03:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I wonder what happened to the big RCA set mentioned in the corner article about Danny.

What model would that be, and does anyone have pictures of it?

The set pictured w/Danny is a 1939 RCA Victor TRK-12. Danny's collection was auctioned off and /or sold. Not sure where each item went. I'm sure someone on the forum may have some of this info. I do recall receiving a one sheet flyer
of the main receivers to be disposed of from Danny's collection. I can't locate this flyer. Att. is a photo of an RCA TRK-12. They all looked alike.

-Steve D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rca_trk12-hd.jpg (112.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Steve D.; 03-15-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Here is yet another article on vintage TV collecting from VIDEO Magazine.....

-Steve D.
That was the article I had mentioned from Video magazine! I had ripped out just the article and didn't know exactly what year in the '80's it was from. Thanks for scanning for everyone to see. I remember back then that there's was often articles on vintage TV's or radios, so I would always thumb through all the all new electronic magazines!
I also want to say the articles and pics are great! The mirror-in-the-lid GE is a particular rare and classy art-deco piece.

Last edited by decojoe67; 03-15-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 03-16-2015, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:37 PM.