Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-15-2003, 03:14 AM
Mike Drown

Question low power AM transmitter-any recommendations?

Can anyone recommend any of the low power AM transmitters that are available out there? I would prefer a kit, but if a particular pre-assembled unit is a standout performer, I would consider that one. I need to have enough range to at least cover a medium sized parking lot, so I can transmit period programs at our Antique Radio Club's swap meets. Any suggestions about transmitters and antennas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-19-2003, 08:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

PM my friend Jim (classicradios) I think he can help you.
Old 09-19-2003, 08:46 AM
Banned

Mike,

That is a way cool idea!
Old 09-19-2003, 11:32 AM
PaulC

There were several threads on AM transmitters at the Antique Radio Forum including using the Radio DJ available at Toys-R-Us. If I was to get one it would probablly be this one. http://www.sstran.com/ Right now the AR site is down for maintenance.

Paul
Old 09-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Mike Drown

Thanks for the ideas on the transmitters!

Paul, that SSTRANS kit looks like a nice little unit. Lots of great features for a reasonable price. I'm seriously considering one of these, even though I already have the compressor as part of my low-power FM setup. I really like the antenna tuning built into this set. I just wish it was easier to change transmitting frequency though. I'd rather not have to open the case to set freq. But this seems to be the norm for most LPAM transmitters. I'm also wondering about noise problems with the unshielded plastic case, and if this will be a problem when used in close proximity to my LPFM xmtr?
Audiokarma
Old 09-20-2015, 01:15 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulC
There were several threads on AM transmitters at the Antique Radio Forum including using the Radio DJ available at Toys-R-Us. If I was to get one it would probablly be this one. http://www.sstran.com/
Looks interesting!!!

I knew another site once that sold all kinds of transmitters but I would hope one would be responsible if they got one! (They are much stronger than whats listed on this page)

Last edited by Dude111; 09-20-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you get the Wild Planet Radio DJ, here are some modifications that really wake it up.
http://www.part15.us/content/looking...adio-dj-part-1

All I did to mine was adjust the antenna trimmer and now I can hear it on the car radio over a half a block away with just the factory antenna and ground wire. I used my old Zenith 9s365 tuned to 1610khz and watched the tuning eye as I adjusted the trimmer. Not exactly hi-fi but good enough for what I use it for.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:33 AM
M is for Memory

I miss my radio DJ one of the best toys I had as a kid....We packed it in a move when I was 12, and I have not seen it since....Either it is hidden in a box that never was opened since, or someone had sticky fingers....

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Knaack
All I did to mine was adjust the antenna trimmer and now I can hear it on the car radio over a half a block away with just the factory antenna and ground wire.
Wow Paul......Imagine you hooked it up to an antenna on your roof??

Ah man!!
Old 09-20-2015, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Regarding SSTran: I have one and I love it. But recently I ordered a second one and even though PayPal paid them, I got no confirmation of the order from SSTran and no reply to email queries. I had to communicate through PayPal, and the money was promptly refunded. I have no clue why the order wasn't fulfilled.
Audiokarma
Old 09-20-2015, 04:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

...and don't forget about the classic little build-it-yourself transmitter at Phil's Old Radios, the "Li'l 7." http://antiqueradio.org/transmitter.htm The parts list is outdated, but it's easy to find substitutes.