Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > VideoKarma Classifieds

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:12 PM
LS3/5a Expert, JBL Nut!

1973 RCA XL-100 Color Console TV

Available for free pickup in Rowland Height, CA., near Los Angeles and north of Orange County.
Will only be able to hang onto it till May 25, then it goes to e-Waste. Doing remodel and must be out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
Hi All,

My parents bought this RCA XL-100, Model no. GR729W, new in 1973 (when I graduated from high school!!) and used it throughout the 70's and early 80's. I do remember it being somewhat tempermental in the mid 80's after they moved to Rowland Heights east of L.A.

It has been sitting in my Mom's upstairs bedroom unused since the early 90's IIRC. I think there were some problems with it so I have not tried to turn it on or do anything with it. My dad passed away in 2004 and mom doesn't want it around any more.

I'm posting it here (or it should be moved?) for anyone to tell me if there is an interest in this (looked on a search and saw the xl-100 is a mixed bag). It would be there for the picking up to an AK'er who could take it away and give it a good home or repair it. Maybe put in a donation to AK.

Here's some pics I snapped last week. Console condition is pretty good. Post replies or PM me. Thanks.

Regards,

Bart
Quote:
Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
Pulling up this zombie thread to say that I still have this but need to get it out of the house now due to some remodeling. Pics were lost but will try to shoot a few new ones tomorrow. If there is anyone located in the SoCal area who would like this, let me know. No charge, just help me get it down cause its on the 2nd floor.

I'll also post a similar in the classifieds.

It's an XL100 console with a tilt out control panel. Not sure if it works at all since it hasn't been fired up in at least 10 years.

Last edited by mech986; 05-12-2014 at 02:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:59 AM
LS3/5a Expert, JBL Nut!

Pics added:

Last edited by mech986; 05-12-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:02 AM
LS3/5a Expert, JBL Nut!

Rest of pics:

Old 05-12-2014, 08:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

NIce looking set, I bet it could make a really nice pic when working properly.
I hope some one on the wesk coast can save it.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'm not seeing any pictures, just little boxes with red X's in them.
Audiokarma
Old 05-12-2014, 08:28 AM
LS3/5a Expert, JBL Nut!

Hmm, for some reason my picture links aren't working.

See this thread for the pics as well:

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=71550
Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

strange pics work fine for me.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Curse the existence of these E-waste facilities. I'll bet many on AK would chase me away with pitchforks so to speak if I went on there announcing that I was going to E-waste my Sansui 661 and Dual 1229.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:28 AM
LS3/5a Expert, JBL Nut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Curse the existence of these E-waste facilities. I'll bet many on AK would chase me away with pitchforks so to speak if I went on there announcing that I was going to E-waste my Sansui 661 and Dual 1229.
I get what you're saying, and I'd love for someone who wants it or could use it to take it. The problem is, we can't keep everything (lord knows I have enough stuff) and things that become unwanted become expendable.

I went to a place I found to buy some used computers, turns out it was an electronics recycler. They buy or get pallet loads of electronics - laptops, computers, monitors, printers, DVD/CD/VCR, all manner of routers/switches/set top boxes, vacuums, stereo gear (mostly low end), etc., etc. You might think it would be neat to deal with this stuff.

Think 2000 stacked laptops, all older, with maybe >1/2 not working or unsupportable, 10 pallets of computer cpu's stacked 10 feet high, all XP types, a 4 x 4 x 4 ft container FULL of RAM/SDRAM chips, none larger than 1 gb, Hundreds of old laser and inkjet printers, etc, etc. I'm a hardware guy but this was literally overwhelming.

The best they do with it is strip what they can that has some worth, rebuild some for resale, send a lot of plastic and metal for scrap (fast turnaround), and resell to other locations or countries for the scrap or recycling/reuse. Sure, some of the computers could be sent to school districts but the problem is who's going to support 4-5 year old computers running old software or XP. And all the old consumer electronics like tube TV's/CRT monitors stack up like crazy.

I just remembered I still have a nice IBM black 4:3 aspect ratio 21inch CRT P92 VGA multiscan monitor that still works great. problem is, its almost 50 pounds, takes up the entire desk, and generates a lot of heat - now retired for a 23 inch HDMI capable LED monitor that uses 5 watts of power.

I love vintage audio as much as anyone, but I can't collect (hoard, save) everything. For that, and the state/local laws, the e-waste is to be recycled if no one wants it. From dust to dust, from the earth, to be reused, recycled, or eventually effectively broken back down to elements, hopefully to be used and not just buried.

In the century/millennium scheme of things, a small blip in the scrapheap reminders of our existence. See Wall-E.