Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:46 PM
froggy115

Admiral All Wave Paperwork

Wow.....nice radio!! I have one also and find it very interesting and well built. I noticed that you have the original manual......would you be interested in selling me a good color copy or a scan of it? I have been looking for one for a long time but , as you know, the radios are scarce and the manual is even harder to find! If you have any other paperwork on this model, I would also be interested in it. Any consideration would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Bob
Old 10-31-2011, 05:54 PM
"Book em Dano!"

Looks like it's built very well. Looks like a fun project. Will there be a video on it in the future?
Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 PM
froggy115

Tried to send a PM but mailbox is FULL..........
Old 11-26-2011, 06:07 PM
froggy115

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
A box was on my doorstep when I got home this evening and this is it! The guy packed it very well, made it in one peice. This a very impressive radio to say the least. Its built very solid, its case is completely metal, with grey crinkle finish paint giving it a very robust quality look. This must have been as case of the executives at Admiral ordering their engineers to create the best product they know how to beat out their neighbors. The radio works excellent and does come with its original Admiral AC adapter. The power supply caps are shot, the radio hums terribly on AC as well. With battery power, the radio performs flawlessly. While I have not compared it to a TO side by side, I do think this radio might be more sensitive than the TO. Its extremely sensitive on SW picking up all sorts of stations with good selectivity and is a very hot AM DX'er. I was pleasantly impressed with how this thing performs, not to mention how nice it sounds. FM also works extremely well which is usually a short coming on 60's radios. Aside from 46 years of exterior dirt build up on the case, I'd say it will clean up like new. It was never serviced and the guy who owned it never hacked it up. Factory fresh inside yet. Of course the date stamp year has to be smudged, but it appears the radio was built on October 1, 1965. Parts are dated 1965 in the radio as well. The antenna mast alone is close to 3/4" OD at the lower section. It'll be an interesting one to take apart and clean and recap. I need to study how they got the chassis in there, the panels on the side look like they snap on the case frame which cover the chassis mounting screws. I'll also need to reglue the front metal nameplate as it basically fell off once I unpacked it. I don't think the radio got used since about 1978, or thats the last time someone put batteries in it. It had Quasar batteries with 78-03 date codes on them but they didn't leak too bad so no damage done to the battery box.
Its a very nice quality unit, aside from some original nichicon capacitors, this radio is all American parts. I'll eventually put some new sprague atom caps in there, so it'll have more American parts when I'm done fixing it than when it was new...

Admiral All Wave Paperwork

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow.....nice radio!! I have one also and find it very interesting and well built. I noticed that you have the original manual......would you be interested in selling me a good color copy or a scan of it? I have been looking for one for a long time but , as you know, the radios are scarce and the manual is even harder to find! If you have any other paperwork on this model, I would also be interested in it. Any consideration would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Bob
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Beautiful. Most likely cost over $275 new (which the Zenith Trans-Oceanic Royal 3000 did in the same era). Easily made to the same standard or better. Likely the best of the Trans-Oceanic competitors. Chicago made in an era when imports were taking over. Thanks for posting photos. Wish they were made like this now. Drool worthy. Minty condition too. Keep this one pristine. Also see the FM and SW antenna is separate from the handle (ahead of the Zenith TO Royal 7000 and D 7000-Y). A nice feature. The chrome and brushed aluminum may well be better quality over the average Zenith Royal 1000, Royal 1000D, or Royal 3000 with every Royal 3000 feature. Even nicer.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 07-02-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Audiokarma