Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2005, 02:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

CTC-12 in desparate need of CRT

I have a CTC-12 in immaculate shape inside and outside. Unfortunately, the CRT(21fjp22) had an accident and the neck is broken.
Would someone know where I could get a replacement.
It is just impossible to find these here in Europe and it is extremely sad to see that set go because of that.
I have a 21axp22 I could use but would be a lot better with the original.
Thanks for any help.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:32 AM
VK Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon1308
I have a CTC-12 in immaculate shape inside and outside. Unfortunately, the CRT(21fjp22) had an accident and the neck is broken.
Would someone know where I could get a replacement.
It is just impossible to find these here in Europe ....
It is not impossible. One month ago a NIB 21CYP22 was sold here in Germany on ebay, see item number 5798530118. Before a half year I was in contact with a collector who has a spare 21CYP22 too. Should I ask him?
Quote:
I have a 21axp22 I could use but would be a lot better with the original.
I would install the 21AXP22. The picture quality is superb, with the saturated green instead of yellowish-green of modern sets.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

I would vote against the 21AXP22 in the CTC-12...it has a metal shell and you would need to hook up a seperate HV filter capacitor and insulate the live metal shell...you might could make it work but the set is not really designed for it.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the tip, I am rather new with the american sets, besides, I'd like to get a tube with the anti reflection glass.

I sure hope I will find the correct CRT, I am deeply in love with the set. I search on internet already but in vain.

Now if the 21CYP22 would do the job yes please ask the guy. I guess I am ready to spend some money on it.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 09-13-2005, 11:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hope so, I think that set still had the original tube. Any internet link I should look at.
I know for a fact now that the shipping will be roughly 400 dollars, but.. no choice if I want to keep the set in good shape. Unless I find one here in Europe but roundies were not really popular here.
There was one on ebay not that long ago and I let it go!!! thinking I was OK with my 21AXP, This shows how much I know about american sets. besides, american sets are great and a lot easier to work on than ours. Why didn't we design our sets like yours, taking too much room for our interior I guess. I have a CTC-4 in my living room and that thing looks gigantic.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:19 PM
VK Member

Quote:
Now if the 21CYP22 would do the job...
Hi folks, what do you think? Is it possible to replace a 21FJP22 with a 21CYP22?
Old 09-20-2005, 05:47 PM

Phosphor effeciencies are a little different, picture will be dimmer than with the correct tube, also the 21cy has 2 high voltage terminals, one fed by a resistor by another. You could probably duplicate that part using a ctc7 or ctc9 schematic. Also sets with the 21cy had a bunch of purity correction magnets hanging around the back of the tube that the newer set wouldnt have. Its possible you might have a little trouble sorting the purity out.

The 21cy has the same physical size and shape as the 21fj. There is no safety glass however. You would probably have to remove the frosted glass from the front of the 21fj and tape it to the 21cy (look in the archives here for "cataract surgery").

It kind of sounds like a mess, but would definitely be better than a 21ax, because (I think) the 21ax has a flatter screen and wont fit the mask properly.

John
Old 09-21-2005, 02:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks John,

Valuable infos, being on the other side of the ocean, it is not easy to get a crt replacement. I do not have any of the schematics except for the ctc-4. Anyhow, I still don't have a replacement. Replacing it with a cy was just a thought and I don't have enough experience with american sets to judge. AK is a real good source of technical knowledge.
I surely hope I'll get a crt accross the ocean soon. The poor thing is in agony at the moment. Thanks for all the infos.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:25 AM
VideoKarma Member

My CTC-10C had a 21CYP22 that was broken when I got it in 1975. I had a used 21FBP22 at that time, and not knowing anything, installed it in my set. It worked just fine. I re-replaced that tube in 1983 with an all-new 21FBP22. The only thing I had to do was remove the resistor from the HV connection.

It's turned on right now. It looks fine.
Audiokarma
Old 09-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Frenchy

My ctc-10w had a CYP originally and had been replaced with a 21fjp22, takes a while to warm up but I think it will be useable even without the brightener that was on it (after some other fixes to the set to come.) They even stamped the new tube number on the tube layout in the cabinet over the old tube number, now that's picky. Was that usual procedure for back then? Almost made me think maybe this was actually done at the factory or something (??)
Frenchy
Old 09-21-2005, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have seen a number of tube charts with new numbers stamped on top, almost certainly from the factory. I guess when they were ready to make the change on the production line they didn't want to wait for the new charts to be printed. It could be that they kept a backlog of chassis' waiting to be installed & in the interim they made the change from the CYP to the FJP. On one set I was working on recently they pasted a new label over the first one; the only change was the model number.