Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Diagnostic & Test Equipment

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Arrow BK precision 1251 *** HELP!!

Does anyone have a PDF version of the manual for this unit? How about a hard copy?

Is there anyway to find out how to set up this unit to use it properly?

Last edited by TVTim; 12-27-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: title
Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

If I remember right, that was B&K's second relatively low-cost true-NTSC color bar generator, from the late 1970s or early 1980s. If you post pictures of the front and back panels that are clear enough to see all of the labels, I (or another person) should be able to help figure it out. Typically, devices like that just have various video and/or RF signal outputs available, and several choices of video/color patterns.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-29-2013, 01:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
If I remember right, that was B&K's second relatively low-cost true-NTSC color bar generator, from the late 1970s or early 1980s. If you post pictures of the front and back panels that are clear enough to see all of the labels, I (or another person) should be able to help figure it out. Typically, devices like that just have various video and/or RF signal outputs available, and several choices of video/color patterns.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have added an album with pics.

http://www.videokarma.org/album.php?albumid=647
Old 01-02-2014, 01:24 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

I looked at the pictures but will need to study it more to give a better description. For a start, though, of the three BNC connectors in picture #4, you can connect the middle one to a TV set's antenna input, and adjust the B&K's signal strength and channel output with the controls above that jack. The left-most of those three connectors provides a variable-level video output that can go into a video monitor or the video input of a VCR or other device. (You need to make or buy the cables needed for these various hookups.)

The row of black buttons let you select various grids of white dots or bars on a black background, or black-and-white ("staircase") or color bars with other test signals. The white or tan buttons select various widths of vertical B&W stripes; the higher the frequency, the narrower the stripes.

Once you get it hooked up to a TV set or monitor, just trying the different buttons will show you what it can do easier than my descriptions. It is a very nice piece of equipment.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
I looked at the pictures but will need to study it more to give a better description. For a start, though, of the three BNC connectors in picture #4, you can connect the middle one to a TV set's antenna input, and adjust the B&K's signal strength and channel output with the controls above that jack. The left-most of those three connectors provides a variable-level video output that can go into a video monitor or the video input of a VCR or other device. (You need to make or buy the cables needed for these various hookups.)

The row of black buttons let you select various grids of white dots or bars on a black background, or black-and-white ("staircase") or color bars with other test signals. The white or tan buttons select various widths of vertical B&W stripes; the higher the frequency, the narrower the stripes.

Once you get it hooked up to a TV set or monitor, just trying the different buttons will show you what it can do easier than my descriptions. It is a very nice piece of equipment.
Thank you. Any idea on the five BNC on the back? Now that I have basics on setting it up, I'll give it a try.
Audiokarma
Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Set it up last night and works great. Now if I can only figure out the advanced stuff I;ll be doing great!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:20 AM
Another CT-100 lives!

Of the five BNCs, the audio in and video in allow you to use external signals for the RF output of the B&K as opposed to its built-in signals. The audio out gives you the internal audio out (1 kHz or 3 kHz as marked on the front panel) for testing amplifiers and so on. Multiburst out should be associated with the row of white/tan buttons, and the subcarrier out is either a 4.5 MHz signal with the audio on it (used for testing sound-IF circuits typically), or possibly a color burst (3.579545 MHz) signal. The lower-right BNC on the front will give you just a sync signal as selected with its associated switch.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ah! Thank you Chris. I appreciate it.