Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Later pressing 45 rpm records

Today, I went to the flea market and the vendor who I buy stuff from had just purchased two boxes of 45 rpm records. Looking through them, it was obvious that they were jukebox pulls. I bought most of the oldies re-issue label records and I also bought several pop records that dated from the early to late '90's. I'm really not into Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys; but, I figured I'd get them for the novelty factor. I only recall going into one record store that was still carrying 45's (mostly oldies re-issue singles) in the mid '90's. I think most stores stopped carrying them by around '89-'90 and most people probably don't realize that newer post-1990 material was ever released on a 45 rpm record. In fact, these later 45 rpm records seem harder to find than older material, since these later records were mainly used only on jukeboxes and available from mail order suppliers who sold mainly to jukebox vendors. I don't know if anything current is still being pressed on 45 rpm records; but, I've heard that some later country songs are available on record. The newest 45 I own is Alan Jackson's "Where were you when the world stopped turning"; which, came out shortly after 9/11. So, I guess we can thank the large number of 45 rpm jukeboxes still in use for keeping the 45 rpm record alive.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

One corporation that kept 45 boxes in use longer than anyone is Waffle House. I saw one still operating in one somewhere last year; can't remember any of the selections in it except for a bunch of Waffle House themed songs.

I do clearly remember eating at a Waffle House in Bay St. Louis, Miss. shortly before Katrina (summer 2005) and there were current country and pop hits being played.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

And Waffle House still uses 45 RPM jukeboxes to this day (normally AMI-Rowe R89 or R 92 machines)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

I've bought new pressed 45s at specialty record stores in within the last 5 years. More geared for record collector than juke operator. The price is a bit outrageous for two songs, but they are still out there and still being made.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
I've bought new pressed 45s at specialty record stores in within the last 5 years. More geared for record collector than juke operator. The price is a bit outrageous for two songs, but they are still out there and still being made.
The last time I saw those remakes, they were as thin as those Dynaflex records. They wouldn't play right on a Seeburg Select-O-Matic. The owner of the machine claimed, he knew of a guy that could adjust it to track better.
Audiokarma
Old 06-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

And occasionally I even get to service those Waffle House AMI-Rowes under contract. The company treats us well and are delightful customers. I keep the local VFW jukeboxes purring along and a friend bought an old route and their old gear. We have a few local customers (and some still prefer vinyl). I love serving them on maintenance and enjoy it as a hobby sideline.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Any idea of an internet or mail-order source for newly pressed 45's? Reissues, or new material?