Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:46 PM
I love old stuff

Does any one collcets 16 m.m. movies?

Did any one collcets 16 m.m. movies?
I'm curios how hard is to find family movies (specially color) from the '60's where you can see more expensive electronics (color tvs, tube consoles) or from the '70's where you can see discos or offices.
I'm talking both about silent movies and movies with sound.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I collect them. I have a bunch of old family movies, from the 1920s-1960s. It's cool to see the old cars, people, houses. Those are from my own family though, I don't think I'd seek out other people's old home movies, it's boring enough watching the ones I have

But lately I've been collecting feature movies too, and shorts, and documentaries. Have around 100 reels, including about ten feature length movies.

16mm movie collecting is fun, rewarding, frustrating, and also quite expensive.

And yes, old kodachrome home movies have amazing colour. And Technicolor looks great too. Eastman is mostly badly faded though.

Making home movies on 16mm was a huge production, you needed someone to operate the camera, and a second person to operate the sound equipment. Most cameras don't have a big capacity either, and if you mess it up you don't know until its back from the developer. 8mm was way more affordable and common for home movies, 16mm was a hobby.

16mm was used commonly to shoot TV shows and lower budget movies, and still is used today although much less than say 10 years ago. It would be very rare to find a 16mm home movie from after 1970 or so though, and even more so after the whole video revolution.

Last edited by maxhifi; 12-04-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:46 PM
I love old stuff

I wanted to give a like, but funk, I don't have this option here
But there wheren't 16 m.m. cameras that could record sound directly on film?
Old 12-10-2017, 09:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

16mm Optical sound is hard to get right. You have 30-40dB of dynamic range to work with, no automatic gain control, and horrible distortion when it clips.

Plus if you actually attached the mic to the camera, all you would hear is how noisy the camera is. The sound guy would keep the gain adjusted properly, move the mic around, etc. Plus in the tube days the amplifier for optical sound was a big heavy affair with very expensive batteries.