Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
You need to put these at the ends of the image location. [img] [/img]

Not sure what you mean. I'm really dumb when it comes to this stuff. I'm having an IT guy look at it for me.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
These things are just SO uncompromisingly W31rd looking... NOT in a bad way, heavens no...
I have no idea what you just said.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:24 PM
RCA 741PCS

He means take this

PHP Code:

https
://tvrestorerguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/100_7684a.jpg 
and make it look like this

PHP Code:

[img]https://tvrestorerguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/100_7684a.jpg[/img] 
when you create or edit your post and it will appear as an image.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

What I was trying to say,& that obviously has gotten taken about as far out of context as possible is that these Porthole style sets were and are STRANGE looking-Especially now,as it seems that the normative "Look" for a TV is a black/grey rectangular plastic box w/little or no adornment at all. When Portholes were new, having a TV was still something of a big Deal, Zenith kinda run 'em up the flagpole,as the Sets with the "Giant CIRCLE screen", My Porthole is a12" tabletop model that is vinyl/leather covered. When I show it off, most people that are roughly my age-60 say they can remember them, but younger folks & kids are completely befuddled by it. Its also amazing as to how many people claim to never having seen A b/w TV of any sort...
Old 11-02-2017, 06:41 PM
Workin' Late Again

Zenith had a reputation of making strange looking radios too. Almost as if they were expecting future generations to collect them.

Last edited by Kevin Kuehn; 11-02-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 11-02-2017, 08:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
He means take this

PHP Code:

https
://tvrestorerguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/100_7684a.jpg 
and make it look like this

PHP Code:

[img]https://tvrestorerguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/100_7684a.jpg[/img] 
when you create or edit your post and it will appear as an image.
Bingo! Thanks Bob.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
What I was trying to say,& that obviously has gotten taken about as far out of context as possible is that these Porthole style sets were and are STRANGE looking-Especially now,as it seems that the normative "Look" for a TV is a black/grey rectangular plastic box w/little or no adornment at all. When Portholes were new, having a TV was still something of a big Deal, Zenith kinda run 'em up the flagpole,as the Sets with the "Giant CIRCLE screen", My Porthole is a12" tabletop model that is vinyl/leather covered. When I show it off, most people that are roughly my age-60 say they can remember them, but younger folks & kids are completely befuddled by it. Its also amazing as to how many people claim to never having seen A b/w TV of any sort...
Got it!
Old 11-02-2017, 08:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
Zenith had a reputation of making strange looking radios too. Almost as if they were expecting future generations to collect them.
Good one Kevin. Thanks for the help in posting pics.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, here goes. I've started on the restoration of this TV. In the next few days or week I'll get caught up with the progress that I've made.

Fist off I'm working on the HV cage and Fly back. The FB coating was pretty melted and cracked. What I did to restore the FB will be part of the upcoming posts. What I'd like to show you guys and get opinions on is that the 1B3GT filament winding that is around the core of the FB might have an issue. The wire is held off the FB core with 2 thin pieces of a fiberglass like material. Where the filament winding has passed through those pieces, it looks like they "dug" into the insulation, thus compromising the insulation. Here are 2 pictures of the filament winding and how it is held in place around the FB:

Now here is a close up of the damage to the insulation. It goes in some but not all the way to the conductor:

I think I need to replace that wire. Now here is another question. If the original wire is lets say 20Kv and I use 40Kv wire, will there be enough "juice" to get through the "extra" insulation of the 30Kv wire to work the 1B3GT?

Last edited by Crist Rigott; 11-02-2017 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

"I think I need to replace that wire. Now here is another question. If the original wire is lets say 20Kv and I use 40Kv wire, will there be enough "juice" to get through the "extra" insulation of the 30Kv wire to work the 1B3GT?"

Sure, this is just a transformer with a one turn coil providing the 1.25 Volts for the 1B3 filament. Turns ratio is the only thing that counts here, extra insulation on the wire will not make any difference.

jr
Audiokarma
Old 11-02-2017, 10:21 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
These things are just SO uncompromisingly W31rd looking... NOT in a bad way, heavens no...
l33t sp34k?! I haven't seen that for ages. w00t :3
Old 11-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Uhh, now you've got sumpin even I never heard of...(Grin) STILL wish I could "Big Deal" a bunch of youse guys to come pay me a visit sometime next spring.. I'd take you to Sneedville,where they have this WILD commemorative to their War Dead.... Its a statue of a reputed Italian soldier... Seriously. They wanted to put up a statue to their War Dead, but they couldn't afford a NEW American one, so they bought a USED Italiano one..Hawk nose, handlebar 'Stache" holding a Carcano rifle, & a WTF-Am-I-doin'-HERE look on his face.. Most of you know that I'm a reasonably good Bullchip Artiste,but even I couldn't dream up anything to beat that..
Old 11-02-2017, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Guys, Lets stay on topic. thanks.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:00 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'm TRULY sorry that something I said got a bunch of y'all all upset & Discombobulated...THAT, of course, was/is never my intention.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I'm TRULY sorry that something I said got a bunch of y'all all upset & Discombobulated...THAT, of course, was/is never my intention.
Not at all "upset & Discombobulated". But I'm just trying to control "thread drift". Apology accepted.
Audiokarma