Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I think this is the picture everybody needs to look at to solve the Zenith-in-Italy connection...

Some dealer named "...ndellini" (Andellini?) was obviously selling enough Zenith sets that he bothered to print "Zenith - TV - Color" on a label.

What's the story on that? Zenith's were built in Chicago, and I've heard that a lot of Italians settled there, some more famous than others.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Great chassis. I've worked on tons of them in the late '60s & early '70s. Easy to work on, great picture. The most common problems (other than cockroaches and bugs) were heat related ie: wiring and terminal strips under chassis. Enjoy.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:53 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

I notice that that set does not have the sharpness control and the color control does not have the pull switch feature to turn the color off. I thought the color switch to be an unusual feature since the set has a color killer circuit but I use that switch on mine when doing the black and white setup. Is that what it was intended for? I would love to find an owner's manual for my Zenith roundie.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

---

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mine also lacks the sharpness control. It's around back instead. My cabinet is comparable to compucat's in quality. I think mine's a year later.

I remember the color on/off switch from my family's set of the 1960s/70s. In the day when only 10% of programming was in color, switching it off improved B/W viewing. Interference, ghosts, or "fringe viewing" would lead to color artifacts that would be occasionally unpleasant. Turning off the color minimized this problem. I'm guessing that's what the user's manual would say too, in a nutshell.
Audiokarma
Old 06-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Slave to a blue dog

Cool Evvaiiiiiiiiiii!!!

Dear Marco, i am ing (so happy!)
What a beautiful set!
Now:
- Don't remove the label and
- Don't remove PAL and CCIR artifacts!
Ah:
Wow!!!

By the way, no need to apologize for your English, you speak 3 languages!
Old 06-29-2007, 07:52 AM
zenith mad

Back from holidays...

Hello everybody! Sorry for not answering sooner to all the replies but I was on holiday
Compucat I have the user manual for the 24MC32 Zenith tv I just bought. I can send you color scans if you want. I have a meeting this evening with the man I bought the tv from. I will pick it up today and I'm really thrilled! I will post more pictures as long as I get my hands on it! This is not my first roundie nor it is my first Zenith tv. I own A Rca CT-100, an hybrid 23" Zenith made expressly for Pal system and another tube type Zenith color 19", a 15" color sentry portable,a Heathkit GR2701 digital system3 and several b/w portables and a couple of 23" tabletop. All the Zeniths have metal cabinets with woodgrain finish (except the 15" model and the Heathkit console). The Zenith roundie has a metal cabinet too but it is a strange maroon-reddish color, in my opinion not very suitable to match with usual furniture. It comes with a huge external transformer to step down voltage from our 220V to your 115V. Zenith used to be a famous brand here around Florence during the sixties as there was an importer who modified the sets and then sold them. I had the chance to see the warehouse just four years ago; still filled with new in the box roundies! Unfortunately the man (now quite old) told me he intended to keep these last unsold Zenith tvs. Later I known all this was thrown away by his son who needed the place for his business...what a shame!
I will let you know how the roundie works (if he does work...) and I will post pictures. Now I have to pick up the car and go getit. I have more than 300Km to do and I hardly can wait...
Marco
Old 06-29-2007, 06:50 PM
Slave to a blue dog

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritwi View Post
Hello everybody! Sorry for not answering sooner to all the replies but I was on holiday
Compucat I have the user manual for the 24MC32 Zenith tv I just bought. I can send you color scans if you want. I have a meeting this evening with the man I bought the tv from. I will pick it up today and I'm really thrilled! I will post more pictures as long as I get my hands on it! This is not my first roundie nor it is my first Zenith tv. I own A Rca CT-100, an hybrid 23" Zenith made expressly for Pal system and another tube type Zenith color 19", a 15" color sentry portable,a Heathkit GR2701 digital system3 and several b/w portables and a couple of 23" tabletop. All the Zeniths have metal cabinets with woodgrain finish (except the 15" model and the Heathkit console). The Zenith roundie has a metal cabinet too but it is a strange maroon-reddish color, in my opinion not very suitable to match with usual furniture. It comes with a huge external transformer to step down voltage from our 220V to your 115V. Zenith used to be a famous brand here around Florence during the sixties as there was an importer who modified the sets and then sold them. I had the chance to see the warehouse just four years ago; still filled with new in the box roundies! Unfortunately the man (now quite old) told me he intended to keep these last unsold Zenith tvs. Later I known all this was thrown away by his son who needed the place for his business...what a shame!
I will let you know how the roundie works (if he does work...) and I will post pictures. Now I have to pick up the car and go getit. I have more than 300Km to do and I hardly can wait...
Marco
115V or 110v? An external stabilization?

Old 07-01-2007, 01:44 PM
zenith mad

Just picked up!

Hello everybody! The Zenith is still in my car waiting someone to help me to bring it to the fifth floor...
Obviously I couldn't wait to turn it on so I managed to do it just in the car. Here are pictures of the set connected to a vcr via a uhf modulator. I get audio and some sort of picture. This is distorted horizontally. Attempting to get the best reception the piture collapses into a very bright white line and the the raster comes back. The static convergence is poor and so the focus. I seem to see vertical colored bars in the background with a blank white screen. One side of the screen is one color and the other another one! Advancing the color control to get the maximum color intensity the picture tends to blur and some noise appears on it. Colors are all off. No red shown while the blue demodulation seems good. The contrast is good and so the picture tube. Where to start? Any help from you more skilled people will be more than welcome! Here are some pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00093.JPG (59.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00094.JPG (59.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00095.JPG (57.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00102.JPG (58.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00091.JPG (61.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-01-2007, 01:51 PM
zenith mad

For Carmine...

Carmine, the name of the original seller was Gandellini. There is a label on one side with the name of the shop and the telephone number. Useless to say the number is no longer on service. This tv was bought from a man in Brescia and it was used for many years (you can say it by the wear of the knobs) since he died. It then sat unused in an attic where the relatives of the original owner found it. They decided to sell it through ebay and here is mine now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00106.JPG (57.8 KB, 41 views)
Audiokarma
Old 07-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Alrite !! You got you a WINNER there, Marco !! Looks like a standard re-capping, maybe replace a tube or that might have gone weak, & you'll be all set ! But you know getting this roundie is gonna cause Trouble, don't you ?!? You'll have all yr friends to come over & watch it after you get it all straightened out & runnin' fine, there'll be fights to see who gets to sit right up close...Roundies have that effect on people...<grin>
Old 07-01-2007, 02:38 PM
zenith mad

Thank you Sandy. Unfortunately all my friends just think I'm mad beyond any hope... I don't know what effect have roundies on people. I only noticed after operating it for about two hours at close range it got me a strange stomach sensation and little headache... Any clue? Emotion perhaps?
Gianni, riesco a capire ben poco di quel che scrivi sia in Inglese che in Italiano... Che differenza fa se la tv č alimentata a 110 o 115 volts?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 AM
Slave to a blue dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritwi View Post
Thank you Sandy. Unfortunately all my friends just think I'm mad beyond any hope... I don't know what effect have roundies on people. I only noticed after operating it for about two hours at close range it got me a strange stomach sensation and little headache... Any clue? Emotion perhaps?
Gianni, riesco a capire ben poco di quel che scrivi sia in Inglese che in Italiano... Che differenza fa se la tv č alimentata a 110 o 115 volts?

Com'era il numero? 055... ?

Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 AM
zenith mad

Il numero di chi???
Old 07-02-2007, 07:02 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Wow, a beautiful set. The problems you describe related to needing a complete color setup. You can't really judge the set by how well it works in the car. After all, that is not their optimum design environment. The vertical collapse when adjusting may be just the way this set is. Mine does that if I turn the vertical hold too quickly in the counterclockwise direction. I think the oscillator can't keep up with such a rapid change in settings. If it does it when you change channels, that is another matter. Keep us posted. It's going to be a great set when it's done.

P.S. I would like to have color scans of the user manual. I'll send you my e-mail address in a P.M.