Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:35 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaFreak View Post
I really think I need a better iron. I have two; one is a Heathkit with three settings from the 1960s, and the other is a cheap Chinese one I paid $6 for...
Invest in a good Weller or Hakko - I've used a WP25 and WP40 for board work in the past, but switched to a Hakko 936 station. MAT Electronics had them on sale in 2009 or 2010, so I took the plunge. Chem-wik is a good brand of solder wick, although I've used others. I also like chip-quik solder for removing multileaded devices soldered with lead-free solder. It lowers the melting point quite a bit. It's a bit pricey, but I still have more than half after 3 or 4 years.

Cheers,
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 PM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Okay...decision time.

I think what I am going to do is purchase a used YSUS board and install that. I have tested most of the other boards in the TV and see no reason to believe the board will be damaged if I install it. One question, though: If the donor TV's screen was cracked while it was in operation, or it was powered on after being cracked, would the board harm itself or my TV?
Old 02-06-2015, 07:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaFreak View Post
One question, though: If the donor TV's screen was cracked while it was in operation, or it was powered on after being cracked, would the board harm itself or my TV?
Powering on with a cracked panel almost always blows chips on the buffer board and often damages the Y-Sustain board also, yes...

Best to get a known working, tested good, board.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:20 PM

I do know that this seller will take the board back less return shipping if it doesn't work. Now, all I need to worry about is my set damaging his board...
Old 02-09-2015, 12:30 AM

Well, the replacement YSUS board is on its way. Wish me luck in keeping the magic smoke contained! I'll report back once the 'new' board is installed, hopefully with a photo of a happy TV.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:20 PM

The replacement YSUS board came in today. I checked the fuses and did a visual inspection...all looks good. Upon installation, still no picture! When I turn the set off, there is an ephemeral, barely perceptible flash on the panel. I also noticed that all three heat sinks on both sustain boards don't get nearly as warm as they did before, and in particular, the larger of the two YSUS heat sinks stays stone cold. No fire or smoke, though! Upon closer examination of the new YSUS board, I found the small surface mount fuse near the bottom row of capacitors to be ...odd. With my multimeter, it tests differently than good, but not completely open. I guess this is the problem? I'll probably ask for my refund now, and hope a better board becomes available.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:16 PM

Success

I got YSUS board #2 in the mail today and checked ALL the fuses. Finding everything good, I put the board into the TV, reconnected everything, plugged in the power, turned the set on, and...was greeted with a nice bright picture! It's been running for several hours now and still going great.

I do notice a bunch of grain or static in certain parts of the picture, especially when it's dark. Any idea what's causing this? The set also runs really hot. Is this normal? I don't want those damn IPMs popping again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-28-2015, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's been a couple years since I worked on one of those models. But if my memory serves me correctly, there are a couple pots on the Y/Z boards that you can tweak to fix the "sparkles". Seems like one of the main ones was labeled "Vscan" or something similar. I am sure there is a "correct" way to do it with a meter, but I always just did it hot and eye-balled it. Maybe somebody who has worked on one more recently can jump in with more up-to-date info.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
It's been a couple years since I worked on one of those models. But if my memory serves me correctly, there are a couple pots on the Y/Z boards that you can tweak to fix the "sparkles". Seems like one of the main ones was labeled "Vscan" or something similar. I am sure there is a "correct" way to do it with a meter, but I always just did it hot and eye-balled it. Maybe somebody who has worked on one more recently can jump in with more up-to-date info.
That's actually pretty much exactly what I did, after some reading up. One of the two pots under the heat sinks on the Y-board was able to clear up the 'red snow', but I still have some 'sparkling' or mostly white flecks in the screen when there's no picture. (i.e. black screen) Not noticeable with a picture on the screen, so far. I didn't adjust any pots very far, and put all but that one back where they were, as I was morbidly afraid of popping my new IPMs or worse!