Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Setchell Carlson P-61

I recently aquired a Setchell Carlson P-61 Tv. It was used up until 2-3 years ago. I checked it all out, cleaned all the adjustments and controls and plugged it in and hooked up the dish to it. Picture came in nice and clear, but theres no sound. just one scratch sound came from the speaker and that was it. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carlson tv.jpg (59.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 11-03-2013, 11:34 AM
Workin' Late Again

You could check the speaker connection that plugs into the top left vertical chassis(looking from the back side). The 6AQ5 audio output tube is directly to the left of the speaker plug. The output transformer should be mounted on the speaker frame.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

the speaker connection is clean and plugged in snug. i already checked.. :-/ could the tube be failing? i dont have a tester, but i may have a spare or donor for the time being 6AQ5
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob Cashin View Post
I checked it all out
Did your check-out include testing all of the tubes and cleaning their pins?

http://antiqueradio.org/FirstStepsInRestoration.htm

Did you test or replace any capacitors?

http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Any TV or radio of that vintage is typically loaded with bad capacitors. If none of the electrolytic or paper (or plastic-coated paper) caps has been replaced, it's a minor miracle that it works at all, much less works properly.

Recapping is not rocket science, but if you have never done it before, I wouldn't advise starting with a TV. This article has advice about finding a repairman, if you don't want to tackle it yourself:

http://antiqueradio.org/howfix.htm

The fact that a vintage TV worked until recently is no guarantee of future performance. Old capacitors degrade with age whether a set was used daily or it was sitting unused in a showroom from day one.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 11-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Workin' Late Again

Also there's a jumper on the speaker plug that disconnects B+ from the audio stages whenever the plug is removed. Have to agree with everything Phil mentions above.
Audiokarma
Old 11-03-2013, 11:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

i might just bring it in for service. i know its been serviced within the last few years... january 7, 2006 to be exact. the service tag was still taped to the back. its a beautiful tv.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Workin' Late Again

But a typical service shop won't do a proper electronic restoration... They typically go after a single fault. Soon thereafter another component may fail. Then it's back to the shop...
Old 11-03-2013, 11:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

i cant replace them all, ive never done a tv before, just a few simple amps and AM radios.... and, i dont know anyone in my area that would replace all the paper caps in it
Old 11-03-2013, 11:53 AM
VideoKarma Member

The last article that I listed recommends contacting a collector club in your area and asking if they can recommend a repair/restore person. The article includes a link to a list of clubs in the USA and other countries.

Phil Nelson
Old 11-03-2013, 12:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

there isnt one in my area. im in CT on the mass line. closest one is in new york which is about 3 hrs away, i dont think there is anyone in my area ive posted ads and ads and ads on craigslist and never get a reply.. lol. you guys here are such a help though, thank you
Audiokarma
Old 11-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Workin' Late Again

Try posting for repair help in this forums classified section. Also over on the Antique Radio Forums classifieds.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

good news guys! i tube the tube out, cleaned the socket, jiggled it around, turned the set on and the sound came in crisp and clear
Old 11-03-2013, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post

The fact that a vintage TV worked until recently is no guarantee of future performance. Old capacitors degrade with age whether a set was used daily or it was sitting unused in a showroom from day one.
+1. But now you know that the important parts that are hard to find replacements for are in good condition (flyback, yoke, CRT, power transformer), so you know that doing a recap is worth it. Replace one cap at a time, that way you are much less likely to forget where the replacement connects to. The wax caps and electrolytic (big aluminum cans) caps should be replaced, for reliability, to avoid damage to the above important parts. The audio amp is similar to that found in a radio, though the FM detector is likely a quadrature detector. Should be fixable without a lot of effort.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Not sure how I got here.

rob C: Good for you! You got it working! Lucky it was a loose tube.

Your picture looks almost like the one posted in the curb finds area of this site. The one on Hartford for $40. I guess you could pick that one up as a spare, for about the price of driving to NY for a service on your set.....

Since your set was used up almost until you got it, it may be just one of those things where its gunna live for ever..... But maybe not..... Chances are it will need service at some time, maybe or maybe not a full restoration.... You should at least monitor the temperature of the big aluminum or paper can type capacitors, they can do something that resembles exploding... Run the set with the back off the first to minutes and be sure they are not getting hot as if they were the source of the heat.... They will get hot but the source will be the tubes.... You need only do it once in 3 to 6 months. Then you should watch the set as you see fit, with a keen sense on the entire operation of the set. Keep a keen eye on picture size, waviness, check the sound for hum. If things do not seem 100% normal, you may be about to experience a loud capacitor failure.....

Then decide if you want to learn the restoration process over time, and do it yourself, or take your time to locate someone willing to take it on..... You may or may not have the luxury of time on your side..... Look at it this way... you don't have to drive it to work every day, so its not of critical importance....

If you choose to recap it, do it like way2wise says, one or two caps at a time.... Take digital pictures of the area before each thing that you do, take many pictures.....
Old 11-03-2013, 03:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob Cashin View Post
good news guys! i tube the tube out, cleaned the socket, jiggled it around, turned the set on and the sound came in crisp and clear
I just fixed up and sold one of these and had exactly the same experience. The 6T8 FM detector + audio tube had dirty tube socket contacts. A little clean up fixed the problem.
Audiokarma