Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:26 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

If the sound and picture don't tune at the same point, it should be obvious that it's not the tuner, which has no independent adjustment for the two (unless it has an internal sound trap adjustment, which I doubt). It has to be something in the IF (like the sound trap / sound takeoff) or sound section alignment.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:10 PM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Given the discussion of BT agile modulators here, perhaps this is a relevant thread for me to ask... I see them in bounty on a certain auction site but I don't know what model designations would be appropriate for older tvs that only have channels 2-13. The configurable ones go for significantly more than the single-channel ones, and some seem to have an interchangeable frequency unit, while others are fixed to a particular channel (or class)...

If I'm not hijacking the thread too much, what should one look for, in regards to video for such an older set?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
Sometimes you can fine-tune it for best picture and then carefully tweak the sound alignment adjusters to match, so to speak. Those will be identified in the Sams manual, if you have that.Phil Nelson
Actually, for this to be my first set purchase in my life (back about 1982), and now a fixture that is loved in my home; strangely I don't have a Sam's or other schematic. Why? It's never needed service much (one cap and a tube or two).

If anyone has a .pdf or whatnot I would love to have it. For the record and from what I can tell on the sales brochure that I am going to attempt to post, it is a Model 4136 with the 330 chassis.

To OldTVnut, that sound alignment advice is good and well taken, but I must reiterate that there were no issues at all when I had analog signal, but I seem to have this with these other devices that we must use to keep using our sets.

I hope these pics come through!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1956-Philco-Brochure2.jpg (108.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (7.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-01-2013, 10:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK folks; no need for rescue or searching for schematics (although I still wouldn't mind having one), the Philco proves once again to be mighty and in good working order! There should be a Guinness world record for consumer electronics logetivity! 57 YEARS!?!?!

Anyway, I took the one antenna terminal idea (and converter) to the Philco and tried various configurations. The one that works best is to simply leave one side of the coaxial adapter off. I did that and my sound would sync with the video. The picture still had a little snow (yes snow) in its digital display, so I touched one lead of the built in antenna to the dangling end of the coaxial adapter; better.

Then I touched the other side of the built in job and BAM, no snow with synced audio and video AND good volume level which I was battling with both sets! The only problem left was a faint wave oscillating across the screen. Still acceptable, but could be much better. I flipped the channels 3 and 4 selector on the digital converter to channel 4 and tuned the set to 4 and it all went away. I am pleasantly pleased to say the least.

I know someone will deduce that my whole problem was the simple move to another channel, but that's not the case. I had tried every possible configuration before I discovered this thing of leaving one side of the antenna input disconnected. As well when I had both leads connected and was coming up with the original problem and topic I had noticed that touching the built in antenna to the terminals improved the situation, but did not correct it.

Imagine the repair work attempts and hours of frustration that I would have gone through if I had blamed this on both sets as opposed to the peripherals! Live and learn, but it's fun when you get it the easy way..

Thanks to all for the input and ideas, and I hope that this will help others with similar problems with their vintage sets compatibility to modern equipment.