Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Television Broadcast Gear

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Philips LDK-5 & Ampex 1" VTR at QTQ-9 Brisbane needs a home

G'day all.

I've recently been told that there is a Philips LDK-5 camera head on a Vinten dolly and 1970s Ampex 1" VTR kicking around at QTQ-9 in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and was sent pictures of them, some which I've added to this post. Now QTQ-9 is in the process of centralizing with the NINE network and so it's studios will likely be closing down and it's likely these great pieces of TV history will end up going to the scrap metal depot. So I want to see to that the camera and VTR go to a good home so anyone here (particularly Aussie members) interested in these items? I don't know for sure if QTQ-9 are allowing for people to take/buy these items off their hands but those interested in them QTQ-9 can be contacted through this number +61 7 3214 9999, ask to be put in touch with the chief engineer. Also here are NINE's other contact numbers http://advertising.ninemsn.com.au/contactus.aspx . I will of course be posting this in other forums and emailing my contacts so it's first in first serve. Anyways hope these items will go to a good home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image036.jpg (74.7 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg Image038.jpg (63.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Image039.jpg (64.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Image041.jpg (71.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg VPRim1.JPG (53.0 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Aussie Bloke; 09-28-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
M is for Memory

Hope they get saved (especially that awesome VTR).
Old 09-29-2011, 04:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Argh! If only I were closer I'd grab them both!

The VTR above is an Ampex VPR-3, considered the Rolls Royce of C-format machines. The 'portable' version [basic transport chassis without the console, TBC-7 or monitor bridge] weighs 125Kg! I think Ampex's marketing people figured they had to convince station engineers that this machine would be a handsome replacement for their aging quadruplex [two inch] machines and hence should have a similarly proportioned weight

In keeping with Ampex's quad tradition, it has an on-board air 'compressor' [vane pump] that feeds air guides and bearings, and a vacuum capstan - no pinch roller involved. If the operator goes from FF to Play, the tape slows down, never stops, just locks up at play speed. Very clever for the era.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

As for the LDK 5 'chain'...

Pedestal is ITE, I've never worked out if they started in Australia or the USA. Before ITE there was HTS in Brisbane, Queensland. I understand HTS became ITE but don't know if they were bought out by a US-based ITE, or changed their name and set up a US arm? I don't recognise this particular model of pedestal, presumably a very early model. I'm guessing no height adjustment is possible.

Pan-tilt head pictured is a Vinten Mk V. An LDK 5 camera, especially with that monstrous OB lens, would be too heavy to balance properly on a Mk V head so maybe what we are seeing was just a display mock-up? [The presence of the left pan-bar AND the camera's pan bar would support this theory?]

If anyone in QLD is reading this, can't acquire the gear for themselves but would be willing to help me with packing and consigning to WA, I'm all ears!
Old 09-29-2011, 04:46 AM
TV Camera Museum Curator

A nice camera well worth saving, It has the interesting feature of the "official" Philips zoom controls mounted directly to the camera. This was not often (never) seen in the UK. Do you know if this set up used the mechanical coupling to the lens? If possible I would appreciate some better or higher resolution pictures. Brian(at)tvcameramuseum(dot)org If it helps anyone who is lucky and gets this camera, if the CCU is missing, the camera can be run from 100v DC and will produce a PAL output directly. there were any number of different operating modes and "radio" was one of the with the local 100v. Control of the camera, iris etc came over the radio link.

The VTR, as has been said is a fine machine, if it has the "Zeus" TBC it is even more sought after. Pity I am half a world away!

Brian S
Audiokarma
Old 09-29-2011, 04:53 AM
TV Camera Museum Curator

Just spotted something in picture two, The locking bar on the pan and tilt head is not full "Home" so the camera could easily fall from the pan and tilt head!!!!!!!!!

Brian S
Old 09-29-2011, 09:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

I'd love to add the camera to the collection here, but i am not one for phoning up places chasing up things to people i dont know (get nervous on the phone!)

There are quite a few cameras about the place, i get people regularly writing to me with cameras asking how much I'd pay...unfortunately when i tell them their value today..i usually never hear from them again.
Old 09-29-2011, 04:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hi Brian .This is the same model as mine. The zoom is motor control by the "official" Philips zoom control .The focus is also motor control .
Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodronics View Post
As for the LDK 5 'chain'...

Pedestal is ITE, I've never worked out if they started in Australia or the USA. Before ITE there was HTS in Brisbane, Queensland. I understand HTS became ITE but don't know if they were bought out by a US-based ITE, or changed their name and set up a US arm? I don't recognise this particular model of pedestal, presumably a very early model. I'm guessing no height adjustment is possible.

Pan-tilt head pictured is a Vinten Mk V. An LDK 5 camera, especially with that monstrous OB lens, would be too heavy to balance properly on a Mk V head so maybe what we are seeing was just a display mock-up? [The presence of the left pan-bar AND the camera's pan bar would support this theory?]

If anyone in QLD is reading this, can't acquire the gear for themselves but would be willing to help me with packing and consigning to WA, I'm all ears!
I have found the cheapest & best way is to use furniture removals ,and ask them if they have a lorry going your way !(DON'T PUSH THEM WITH TIME )
Old 03-06-2012, 05:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

Was this Head Saved ?
Audiokarma
Old 03-06-2012, 06:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Holy I forgot to update you all on what happened with the gear!

The LDK-5 head I hear is now in the hands of a motion picture rental company in Brisbane which is really good news, I am however not sure if I'm allowed to disclose the details though so I won't say at this stage.

As for the 1 inch VTR I found out QTQ is not getting rid of that machine so it is still being kept.

Anyhow that now concludes this thread!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks

Aleast it was saved !

Last edited by XDCAM; 03-07-2012 at 03:23 PM. Reason: WERE IS THE DELETE BOTTON ON THIS PAGE ?