Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Early 70's Tube Color General Electric

I found an old GE color tube chassis tv- from the early to mid 70s. It says "insta-color" on the back but the model and chassis info is gone. The whole set is tubes. It works kinda-- the HV comes up but is low, and you hear the sound trying to come through but when you turn up the volume, there is like squeal through the speaker from low frequency to high frequency. All tube sockets were cleaned and all controls cleaned. CRT filament heaters light.

Also, there is a 600v capacitor near the horiz. output tube which has one end disconnected. I cannot figure out where to attach the detached lead on the chassis board, however. I wish I could get a picture but i can't right now. it is a very nice set and i would love to get it going. I have all supllies here but I need advice. Thanks everyone. PS - As per the model, It says "service-designed" on the case if it matters.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Do you have the model number, I might have the schematic, I can scan it if I have it. Also some of the larger public libraries tend to have them.

Last edited by Adam; 10-24-2005 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

I may be able to give you a scan of photofacts if you can provide the chassis no. Sounds like maybe power supply problems like an open diode or bad caps since everything in the set seems to be affected.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Look around for a chassis #; there is likely a tube chart inside, maybe on the inside back cover. Is it a console or table model? Do you know if its parallel (transformer powered) or series string?
Old 10-27-2005, 08:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey all, The set has an "N1 Chassis" and there is no discernable model in or out of the set. There is no power transformer, so i guess the tubes are directly connected in series string. I did some investigating tonight and found a disconnected wire near the disconnected cap. One end goes to the large resistor and focus pot. on the flyback/HV board, and then there are 3 options (unused pins on PC board) for where it has to connect: 1- pin connecting to the last wire on the yoke, 2- base of unrecognizable tube with top connecting to HV assembly , or 3 - on pc board near Vert Height/Linearity pots/small resistors. I know that i am not helpful, but the thing is filthy and messy and hard to work with right now. Oh yeah -- the HV (nominal) is 22.0 kV accordint to the only surving label in the whole set which is on the tube itself.
The HV assembly states to replace HV rectifier with a GE 3AD3 only.
Audiokarma
Old 10-27-2005, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Correction

The rectifier is a 3DA3 NOT 3ad3 thanks.