Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
The company is Transformer Manufacturers Inc. They are in Norridge, Illinois. I have had a lot of work done by them.
We used to send transformer cores to them when I was in the Navy! Never suspected they'd also be there for us regular Joes. They make a lot of MIL stuff - mostly big power transformers for AC distro on ships. I recall they also made the power transformers for Conrac monitors used in the aviation side of the house. Hard to identify them at first, but with the white TMI stamping on the core, it became easy to hunt them down.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 02-04-2010, 05:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith26kc20 View Post
It seems to me that Zenith put the plate connection on the inside part of the winding. This has 1200 volts signal (vertical) and 390 volts DC. When mine failed, it appears that the puncture in insulation would cause the arcing that I noticed, but no sign of distress with the 6HE5 pulled. It also makes sense with JK unhooked....
The engineer at TMI said the insulation may only be 3 mils thick (the nearly transparent tape). No wonder it may get into trouble....
Maybe one should mount the transformer with its frame and core insulated from the chassis ground. Thus making life on the insulation a little easier. Though the transformer frame would become a shock hazard, but once the TV is back together that shouldn't be a big issue.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:18 AM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

This is really interesting. I have a 25MC33 Zenith Roundie and I have had this happen twice with the vertical output transformer. I would definitely like to find a permanent fix. If better replacements could be made, I would be interested in buying one. This does seem to be the only real weakness in the Zenith roundie design. Lets us know what happens with the transformer.