Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

The main issue with my mothers phone is lack of towers. When my sister visits, (she is on a different carrier), her's does not work either. With the analog phone, for some reason, the tower's reach was farther. I suspect the problems are the same as will be with digital TV. (I have seen carriers maps and my mothers location is in the "future coverage" area, very near areas covered now. She is luckier than people in some states such as Montana, the Dakotas, etc. From the maps, no coverage is planned for these areas.

Broadcast digital TV (as well as other broadcast digital media) have a limitation that analog does not. The receiver must tightly lock to the transmitted signal to be able to align to the incoming frames and then decode the picture/sound, etc. Digital error correction may correct errors in the frames to a certain extent, etc, but will not fix the lock issue.

Broadcast analog does have to lock for the sync to work, but is much more tolerant of missing or weak sync pulses, etc. For this reason, at the same transmitted power levels, a snowy, but watchable picture may be obtainable on analog receiver while nothing will be seen on a digital receiver.

Digital transmission is an all or nothing system, when it works it is great, when it does not, it is complete crap(this is also why digital cell phones have drop outs). People in rural areas who have marginal broadcast reception now(snowy analog pictures) may well lose out with the digital conversion. In fairness, I believe that the US government should mandate that the people who are benefiting from the sale of the present analog TV frequencies purchase and maintain minimal satellite systems(covering at least stations received previously) for anyone who loses broadcast TV reception due to the conversion. By "the people who are benefiting" I do not mean the taxpayers. Long term, these corporations that are purchasing the frequencies will be benefiting and should pay.