Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I have most of mine stored (safe/dry/neatly), and a few on display in the house. The only mass display I have, is my Sony collection, which takes up 1 room. Several dozen small-screen color Sonys plus a complete set of LCD Sony color and some small-screen CRT & Lollipop tube Sonys. Those, plus the 510-lb 30" console, and Sony's first plasma sets, and all 4 sizes of Profeel, and the first XBR with the foot pedal remote pedestal, etc. No current pics... Need to take some.

Charles
Old 12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Wow, a lot of great collections guys! And I'd certainly like to avoid the 'wall-o-crap' if at all possible. Well this certainly gives me some ideas-

Tom, your display looks just like my room as a kid. Add in an 8' Sylvania color combo and it'd be complete : )

BTW, I just noticed my join date shows 2010, but I recognize a few names from the old site back when I had a lot more free time. Cool to see new faces, too!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 PM
Dead from the neck up

I do the wall of stuff (amended). My main display is my CTC-9, round Zenith, two rectangular Admirals, tabletop post porthole Zenith, Predicta, RCA 8TS30, and 12" Philco. I have a secondary display, but I need to add wiring to accomodate them. Pics coming in the next day or so.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrySmith View Post
Our goal is to get a house with a basement . . . . . .
You might give a second thought to the basement idea, if at ll:30PM one night, you had gone down into your basement and seen your Bendix Aviation radio with its phantom dial, that had been in your family since new in 1947, along with with a Pilot 3 inch TV sitting on the floor underneath it and looking up at you with its one sad and very, very wet eye because it was drowning in a pool of water!

Most of the extra stuff was in our basement for short term storage as we had moved everything out of the family room to replace the crappy carpeting that the builder had installed in 2006.

We live on a hill and thought that our basement was flood proof.

The Pilot was underneath on the floor simply because it would fit between the Bendix's legs. These along with most of the original negatives of both my family and my wife's family pictures and all our prints that were never put in albums were in the basement.

I have rewashed hundreds of original photo negatives and a huge pile of photographs. The only photographic loss was a few prints where my wife got a bit impatient while we were soaking them prior to separating them and the emulsion pulled off.

The photos took priority, even while we were getting the water out of the basement. In fact, three months later, I still have about a hundred 1940s negatives sealed in water in a zip-lock baggie and frozen, to prevent mold, while waiting to be rewashed.

The Pilot had previously been repaired (but not restored) by the original owner, and I repaired it again in 1976, but it still had never been restored. Before the flood, it still worked but the CRT was getting a a little dim.

I moved the Pilot to the garage, popped open its case and hosed it off, and left it there to dry, and the cabinet does not seem to be hurt. Of course, this will mean that this set gets its long overdue electrical restoration.

The Bendix was left in place and moved to blocks and I wiped off the legs with alcohol to prevent mold. It has dried without any visible damage.

All of my remaining test equipment was in the basement, and while it did not get wet, it lived in very high humidity for over a week.

The actual biggest flood loss was from the wall of books that were moved from the family room to replace the flooring. We were able to dry the older books with almost no damage, but some of the newer ones were a total loss.

We never were able to determine the exact cause of the flood, but a freak localized storm with over 6 inches of rain in three hours helped. (A farmer's rain gauge about a mile from me overflowed at 6 inches. A rough estimate gave about the same amount in an empty solvent container that I had left in the back yard to air out before storing it. The official rain gauge at the airport about 10 miles north, was 3.5 inches. The other nearest official gauge 20 miles south of me was knocked out by the storm and did not register. In the subdivision where I live, only three houses in a row were flooded, and mine was the center one.)

James

Last edited by earlyfilm; 12-04-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I hate this "Lumix Digital Camera, there must be a way to get a decent picture out of it but it's beyond me.
My old Olympus was great but not supported in Win 7.
Sorry to go a bit off topic here, but you don't need to load your computer with very bloated camera software.

I assume that your Olympus has a plug that fits the USB slot.

On Win 7, right click [Start] and select "Open Windows Explorer"

Plug your camera's USB cord into the camera and then into any USB port on your computer.

When your Olympus powers up, it probably will ask you a question and at that point you select the [PC] option on the Olympus screen, at which point the camera screen will turn off.

(If your very old camera fails to power up, turn it on manually.)

You can then use Windows Explorer to probe your camera to find your pictures. Once located go back one folder and select that folder and then copy that folder to any place you want it on your Win 7 computer.

Always select, copy then paste, but never delete anything on your camera using your computer as this sometimes can mess up your camera's logic.

Note: It helps if you have "Display file extensions" turned on in your folder options, to quickly idenfify the jpg files, but it is not necessary.

Every picture that I've posted on this forum was shot with a circa 2002 Olympus using only native Win 7 functions!

As a matter of fact, Windows Explorer will work for almost all digital cameras with a USB connector on all versions of Windows computers back to Win ME and possibly even to Win 98.

James (Still stuck with an analog mind in a digital world)
Audiokarma
Old 12-05-2011, 07:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

I have never used any proprietary software with a digital camera. We have a relatively old Olympus camera at our repair shop which predates 2004 and we would always just take the memory card out and put in in a card reader and download the files. I do the same thing with my new digital camera.

As far as displaying equipment I try to create areas which may include TV's, phonographs, table radios, etc. plus lamps and chairs to sit down and watch/listen. I need to take some photos of my current setup but here is one from 1994.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chad-room.jpg (93.6 KB, 198 views)
Old 12-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Banned

i spy a vintage sherwood receiver. whats that gold face one? it looks like a bogen, is it? looks tubular..
Old 12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the suggestions guys but this camera (Olympus 3000 Zoom) has never been accessible through windows explorer, even on XP. Win 7 won't even acknowledge it's been plugged in.

I can install Camedia Master and the USB driver for XP on windows 7, it shows up in Device Manager but it just sits there and won't communicate with the camera.

A card reader is a possible option, I also have a spare XP machine but it's a tedious process using another machine and transferring pics with Flash Drive.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereorob View Post
i spy a vintage sherwood receiver. whats that gold face one? it looks like a bogen, is it? looks tubular..
Yes that is a Sherwood receiver. I don't have it any more, I took it to a radio station I worked for and left it in use there when I left. The gold face receiver is a Channel Master solid state.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 PM
RCA 741PCS

I picked up this Edsal shelving system for some of my tabletop sets. They're plenty deep and the whole unit can handle 4,000 lbs

It's not exactly ideal for actually using them, but it keeps them out of harm's way.

The rest of my sets are scattered around every room.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Looking For Time

Banderson- In the last picture above, the porthole on the second shelf up from the bottom on the right side- what is that set? I love the look of that one.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM
RCA 741PCS

That's a Stromberg Carlson TC-10. Here's the back story on it: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=248005
Old 12-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Looking For Time

This is our temporary holiday time display of the Mighty Majestic. It is outside of the door to our apartment in the hall for all to appreciate.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Dead from the neck up

Here is my primary and secondary areas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COLLECTION_1.jpg (53.0 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg COLLECTION_2.jpg (43.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 10-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Looking For Time

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread but I recently moved into a new home and I am struggling with how I am going to set up a display space. When I first moved in I placed sets in different rooms to spread things out, but then I thought a TV in the dining room looked completely silly. My collection is minuscule at the moment and I am going to keep the number low so the collection doesn't take over the house. I've heard that many people have a "radio room" where they display their collections. I've kicked around the idea of having a guest bedroom/radio room since my home isn't big enough for a room all on it's own. I don't like the idea of table top sets sitting on top of console sets but I think a two level shelf for table top sets might look alright and help to save some space. Does any one else want to share or show pictures of how they set up their display space?
Audiokarma