Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith G844 FM Dial

Hi Everyone,

Would anybody out there happen to have a nice photo, or--highly improbable, but I dare to ask--a scan of the FM dial from a Zenith G844?

I just acquired one, but the FM dial--which seems to be situated in front of the needle, but behind the glass in the bezel based on the photos I've seen--is missing. Guess I'll have to try to reproduce it...

Here is a link to Radiomuseum.org, which has a representative example:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/zenith_...44_ch8g21.html

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 AM
VK Member

If you can't find a better picture of this dial ( and I know how hard it is with obscure model radios that no one has pictures of online ) you can probably use the picture you have there as a reference and create a new one. The trick would be making sure all the measurements are right and that all the numbers are of a suitable font and in the right positions.

I've seen Reece recreate a fairly intricate dial for a rare Firestone radio, so I'm certain the same could be done for a simple design like yours. It if were me, the only thing I haven't tried is turning the numbers so that they would wrap around the curved dial properly. Putting them in a straight line is a lot easier!

I'm really fond of Zenith's myself, and I've never seen a radio like the one you have there. I hope you get it going and post some pictures. Posting in the forum, you'll likely have the only clear pictures of this radio anywhere on Google!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Tube bug got me 05/2010

Curved numbers- You'd want to use a vector program such as Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape (freeware)...
You'd create the text and draw a curve following how you want it, then choose the option to "put text on path"... the text will follow the path.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Once you got the radio working you could use a signal generator to shoot a carrier at it at each of those dial numbers and mark in pencil on a paper taped on the dial where they fall, scan and transfer to your computer model. This would be an interesting one to do. Possibly work the numbers in "white" which is actually blank as we normally print on white paper, and then print on gold paper from the crafts store, the gold showing through as the numbers on the printed reddish or brown (can't tell from the photo) background.

I had a lot of fun recreating that Firestone dial but it was all rectilinear and done in MS Paint, if you can believe that. One of my graphics-savvy sons said, "Dad, you did that in Paint? That's like doing it with a rock!" Indeed. I'll have to get a better program like that Inkscape and practice on it.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 AM
VK Member

Smile Dial

Hello, with a year delay (i just received my fordham today) if you still need a scan of the dial, i think i could do so.
In few days i will dissasemble the set.
I will also appreciate if you cand send a close picture of the center knob (missing in my set) in order to reproduce it.
Audiokarma
Old 12-30-2017, 04:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

fm dial

well this posting is really late by a few years but I happen to have the original FM dial for this radio. email jeffG@Radiotiques.com if you still need it.