Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Movies, shows, & programs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I Love Lucy Christmas Special on CBS

So, I have not watched any of these shows for a very long time. Wow is all I can say on the video re-mastering, pixel error correction, and whatever state of the art technology was used to deliver this great quality Color video (and audio). To me this looks as good as some current 720p TV programing. To properly witness this, you need a "convergence error free" modern LCD or plasma TV to appreciate the picture. Near as I can tell it was originally filmed in B&W in Nov, 1956. Remember the early days of remastering B&W stuff to "color" and how bad these conversions looked? Things have come a long way.

Tom (PK)

Last edited by powerking; 12-07-2014 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Error on my comment on it being filmed in color
Old 12-07-2014, 07:43 PM
Administrator

The quality is due to the fact they filmed it on 35mm B&W Film, it was colorized in the 90's but I suspect it's been redone since it looks really good.

I've seen the episode before (actually just regular shows stitched together with some new footage) on DVD but it was in B&W.

They colorized the early B&W episodes of Bewitched too, the technology has come a long way since the early attempts!

There is some real color footage of the show here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxsiItd1iN8

An audience member snuck in a movie camera and filmed them shooting.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:16 PM
<----Zenith C845

I was surprised to see the program on CBS in color. I know the series that followed it in the '60s, "The Lucy Show", was in fact filmed in color, but until I read your post I couldn't for the life of me figure out how CBS or anyone else ever managed to show one "I Love Lucy" episode in color. I'm sure every one of those episodes was originally filmed in black and white, as color TV was quite rare in the early 1950s.

BTW, one of my favorite episodes of "The Lucy Show" is the one in which Lucy won a chance to be "DJ for a Day" on a local radio station. It was disastrous, as Lucy accidentally turned on an electric fan in the studio that blew away all the identification labels for the controls on the panel. She didn't know what control, button, etc. did what, and what followed was a burst of loud noises--sound effects, jingles, the one commercial that was on tape (the tape deck holding that commercial was mounted on a wall above the control panel and behind the DJ)--and, if I remember correctly, the whole studio filled with smoke and Lucy sang, in tears, "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas."

Interesting, as I had a dream in 1964, when I was eight years old, that I was a DJ on a Cleveland radio station, working the midnight to 6 a.m. shift. Everything went quite well until about three a. m., when I put on a record and, about a minute into it, a spark flew out of the control panel in front of me. And it just went from bad to worse; after that spark, I saw my whole control board burst into flames. As I ran around the studio shutting off lights and was just about out the door, the telephone rang. It was the technician at the station's transmitter, some 15 miles west of the studio. "Look, I don't know how to tell you this," I said to the technician, "but my whole studio just caught fire!" The technician shot back, "That's nothing! We're off the air--the transmitter just exploded!"

I don't ordinarily remember dreams or nightmares, but that one has stuck in my head after all these years (I'm 58 years old, so I had that nightmare half a century ago) and will probably be with me the rest of my life. However, I'm almost certain that "DJ for a Day" episode of "The Lucy Show" had something (maybe everything) to do with it. I watched a lot of TV when I was a kid (when we only had 3 channels of TV in Cleveland in those days, mid-'60s), so it wouldn't surprise me if I had seen that episode of the program and it scared me, enough to result in the nightmare I had.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 AM
VideoKarma Member

The DVD release of a few I Love Lucy extras was colorized, the Westinghouse plug looked super in color. I'm sorry I missed the episode that was just on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv.JPG (29.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg vacuum.JPG (36.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg capture.JPG (36.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg range, roaster.JPG (35.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg westinghouse.JPG (36.0 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-08-2014, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerking View Post
So, I have not watched any of these shows for a very long time. Wow is all I can say on the video re-mastering, pixel error correction, and whatever state of the art technology was used to deliver this great quality Color video (and audio). To me this looks as good as some current 720p TV programing. To properly witness this, you need a "convergence error free" modern LCD or plasma TV to appreciate the picture.
Agreed! The picture quality was just amazing on my 1080i LCD set. Perhaps I was in a grumpy mood last night, but it just seemed *strange* to see this vintage comedy with such spectacular video and audio... its as if the comedy routines seemed more "old fashioned" and out of date, by contrast. As a little kid in the 50s, I laughed my A$$ off at these shows. Last night, after viewing a couple of BBT re-runs (which I thought were LOL funny) the Lucy Christmas special seemed kinda flat.

Anybody else get the same impression?

jr
Audiokarma
Old 12-15-2014, 02:34 AM
console lover

I remarked on facebook that it doesn't look like natural color to me, but more like a moving hand-tinted photograph.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:

"I remarked on facebook that it doesn't look like natural color to me, but more like a moving hand-tinted photograph. "

To me and others, quite the contrary. This most recent remastered rendering of this classic episode is most visually remarkable, IMHO. Perhaps you watched it on a less than capable TV?

Tom (PK)
Old 12-15-2014, 11:37 AM
console lover

Honestly, Ethel.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Resident Lunatic

I watched it on my recently restored CTC-9 and a modern VIZIO LED set, both "capable" sets, and I thought the color looked anything but natural. It was an interesting, albeit failed, experiment in my own opinion.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

i love lucy was just released on blu-ray , season one is out there not sure about season two but you want to see stunning black and white forget the colorized 720 and look at the blu-ray
so were the classic 39 honeymooners - whatever broadcasters can offer can be blown away with home equipment.
Audiokarma
Old 12-26-2014, 12:28 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by benman94
I watched it on my recently restored CTC-9 and a modern VIZIO LED set, both "capable" sets, and I thought the color looked anything but natural.
Indeed my friend .. It isnt natural,its artifical garbage and a disgrace to how good that show was!!

Its sad how they destroy the beautiful purity of the past...... I could really make this thread HOT but the staff might lock it if I did........

Last edited by Dude111; 12-26-2014 at 12:47 AM.