Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Larry Melton (oldtvman)

Where do you find those hidden treasures

I have quite a good collection but always looking to add more, and I'm sure there are plenty of old color sets still sitting in basements or garages waiting to be found. The problem is how do you find them before someone comes along and decides the haul them out to the trash"
Old 03-21-2005, 09:29 AM
<--1956 300B

Several members have had good luck placing want ads in the newspaper.

polaraman
Old 03-21-2005, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaraman
Several members have had good luck placing want ads in the newspaper.

polaraman
Yup that'd get you buried with old tv's in a hurry !

Estate sales are another good place to find old roundies

Regards
Army

You have your way, I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist. F. Nietzsche
Old 03-21-2005, 01:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking at my roundies there is no trend. They each came from a different type of place. You are correct in that these sets need to be rescued before the junk man gets them. 99% of the people who have these sets (or will have them, when Uncle Leon or Aunt Sue pass on) think they are worthless junk and will not even try to sell them. If they go to the auction house with all the contents of the house they will be told "Don't you even think about bringing that old thing in here, it won't sell & I'll be darned if I'm paying to haul it to the dump". So, what do you do? Short of going door to door in old neighborhoods a classified ad would do it. I haven't personally done it with tv sets, though I did run one a couple times many years ago for radios. Prepare for wild goose chases. Drive an hour for a System 3. Wait around for a guy to show up with a Sanyo. Ah, but then, maybe, find a CTC-7 in a garage 15 miles away. I would run an ad but I don't have the room for any more sets. If I stumble across one, fine, I'll bring it home, but running an ad commits you to adding to that collection here and now.
Old 03-21-2005, 01:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Also check out old TV shops, pawn shops, antique malls in small towns...they are rapidly disappearing though. Some old shops have HUGE amounts of old tube type sets stored. Went to Pecos TX on a service call for a Zenith phono console and on the sales floor of the local TV shop was a '60s Motorola tube color set. There is a 50's RCA console at a pawn shop in Alamogordo, N.M.

Last edited by Chad Hauris; 03-21-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Audiokarma