Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

RCA newspaper ad supplement Nov 21, 1965

RCA ad supplement for the Christmas season 1965, in The Kansas City Star -
Roundies still there, but on the way out.

(1.25 MB pdf)

http://www.bretl.com/tvarticles/rcaa...%2021%2065.pdf
Old 12-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Thank you for the link. I found my CTC-16X in that ad, and now I know its name. It is the Harper. I only knew its model number GG589M before. It looks like it was probably the cheapest 21" set they made. The 19" portable (CTC-19) was less expensive.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice.

I was surprised I didn't see my grandparents' set in the ad. They had an RCA roundie when I was young, and we still had black-and-white. My mom had always said that all the other sets around when they bought theirs were rectangular, and that they bought the roundie because they trusted the RCA brand.

I notice that all the consoles in the ad (even the black & whites) had similar goldtone control panels.

Grandpa's had a black control, with one tuning knob. The knob was chrome along the edge, but the front of the knob was black with a lit channel number visible. Most distinctive, still vivid in my memory, was the UHF channel indicator - a horizontal rule with reverse-painted turquoise numbers and a red pointer.

Any idea what RCA model that would have been?
Old 12-17-2009, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Greetings from FixitLand!

I didn't see *my* grandparents' set in the ad either. It was a 23" B/W set, much like the units shown at the bottom of the centerfold page but in a black *metal* cabinet, not wood. I seem to recall chassis KCS-136...but my memory is pretty porous. Grandparents wore out original CRT in eight years; I put in a new one and they ran it two more years until it suddenly went to a noisy, pasty pic and my uncle bought 'em a new set. I got the old one. Turned out the 2nd IF stage plate resistor "let the smoke out" -- put a new one in and the ol' RCA kept on tickin' for me until 1982 when I "inherited" my folks' 1975 RCA color set (which had popped the vertical-output coupling cap resulting in flat-line). But that's another story...

Take care,
--
J. E. Knox 'The Victor Freak'
Old 12-20-2009, 05:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Well what do you know about that!My old console stereo is called the Brockton.It is playing Christmas music right now.I have to get the old lady to get her stuff off it,though.
Thanks for the ad...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 024.jpg (106.3 KB, 23 views)
Audiokarma