Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

I think there are 2 grooves in the cam, and the shutoff mechanism connected to the overarm shifts the arm movement mechanism from the normal track that places the tonearm onto the record, to the alternate track that sets the arm on the rest post. Sounds like something is binding or sticky still, or maybe something is lubricated that should be dry.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
I think there are 2 grooves in the cam, and the shutoff mechanism connected to the overarm shifts the arm movement mechanism from the normal track that places the tonearm onto the record, to the alternate track that sets the arm on the rest post. Sounds like something is binding or sticky still, or maybe something is lubricated that should be dry.
Well I can try to take the platter off and see if I can take the cam gear off of the record player and clean the old grease off and relube it with new grease and see if that helps any or not but I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not. I'm wondering if maybe the alternate track groove that you mentioned that's supposed to drop the tonearm off onto the tonearm rest isn't maybe stripped or something or maybe its just so badly worn that the tracking pin just won't go off into that alternate track groove anymore.
Like I said I won't know until I get that cam gear out of the record player and examine it carefully for signs of unusual wear or dried up lube possibly gumming up and blocking the path to that alternate groove.

EDIT: Took the cam gear out and there was only one groove track on it and it was in the shape of a teardrop and I took and cleaned up the old lube and relubed it with new grease and put it back together and tried it out and it works fine when dropping one record and then ending the first record and then dropping the last record and playing it through but then when it gets to the end of the final record and goes to try and drop the tonearm onto the tonearm rest it instead drops it back onto the record and shuts off, just like it has been doing the whole entire time and there's absolutely no dried gummy grease left in this changer anywhere now because I completely overhauled this changer by completely removing the old grease and putting on new grease on every single part that needed grease and left all of the parts that were supposed to be dry greaseless, and its still doing the thing with dropping the tonearm onto the record during the ending cycle instead of on the tonearm rest like its supposed to and then shutting off, and the tonearm adjustment is where its supposed to be at because I tried adjusting that before because I thought maybe that was the issue initially the tone arm would set down onto the tonearm rest at the end of the ending cycle but then when I would try to get the changer to drop the record from the changer to start it it would drop the tonearm too far outside of the recording and it wouldn't play the record then, so the tonearm adjustments are just fine, there's clearly something else that's causing this issue. But I'm not sure what it is.

Last edited by Captainclock; 09-27-2015 at 10:18 PM.