Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:49 PM
VideoKarma Member

Saying Hi from NKY close to Cincinnati.

I am 46, and love CRTs. I own way more than I should now. (Upwards of 40) I got the fever about 3 yrs ago, in hindsight I wish I would've grabbed everyone I could have. Briefly about me:

My dad was a jack of all trades, good w/electronics. He had a briefcase tube-tester and I remember more than once he fixed our TV. Sadly, that briefcase is in a landfill now, almost certainly.

I am a gamer for life as well. The new stuff I use an HD-CRT and wouldn't trade the picture/zero lag. Random Trinitrons/JVCs for the 8/16 bit stuff.

We were a modest family and Sony's were out of the budget. Zenith never let us down. Fond memories of sneaking to play Colecovision on the 25", forbidden to by my dad for fear of screen burn. (I recently passed on a 1982 25" wood Zenith donated by an elderly lady to a church donation sale. $25 w/all papers, looked 4.5/5 stars. So bummed, timing was off for me to get it.)

So, I will post some pics of what I consider good stuff. I also have some questions on an LXI/Sears/Sanyo? I recently acquired. I can't find a schematic anywhere, barely any info. Appears to have been a premium TV in 1986.

Sorry for the long-winded intro, I'm just enthusiastic about the art.
Thanks for having me, this site looks like no-nonsense folks not absorbed by social media. Thumbs up!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome!
Old 05-17-2017, 10:33 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Well, you just missed the yearly Early Television Convention in Hilliard. Hope you can come next year:

http://www.earlytelevision.org/2017_convention.html

You might be able to arrange a visit to the museum if you have the time, though.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks!
I noticed the museum is open through the week which is good. My time has been consumed with finishing college, literally graduated 2 weeks ago. 30 years late, yay! I will have more time now, I've been an anonymous reader of VK for sometime and this is nice.
The one thing I owned in the past that could even vaguely relate to anything in the same galaxy was a 8-10" Motorola portable B&W from the early 60s. It actually only had VHF too. I did use it for Atari for a brief time. Took several mins to come alive and had some nice heat. The case was all metal now that I'm thinking about it, gold color. Wish I still had it.
Old 05-28-2017, 07:47 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Welcome to VK!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Audiokarma
Old 05-31-2017, 11:39 AM
Motorola Minion

Its great to have another almost old-timer here! My first video game was a "pong-squash-hockey" unit from Western Auto. Used on a 1958 Philco 21" metal table model. No screen burn was visible, so we could say told-ya!
Old 06-01-2017, 10:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Saying Hi from NKY close to Cincinnati.

Welcome,

Good to know I am not the only late in life college grad in Cincy that enjoys this stuff!

I'm in the process of moving across town, hopefully by the end of summer I'll things in order to get back to the hobby...