Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:17 AM
anto

Wink bell & howell super8 projector model 266ex

not sure if this is the right place to post but it sounded close,anyways here some pics

and it works

Any info welcomed,
thanks
Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Ahh-what you have their is a bare-bones projector that likely still works. B&H of course, have their claim to fame in producing the Filmosound line of 16mm projectors that every high school and institutional space seemed to have from the 50s to the 90s. Their super 8 offerings were typically rebadged cameras and projectors, mostly made by Chinon. I'm not sure who produced their metal 8mm projectors though, but they produced probably a couple of dozen variants on this design over the years. They offered them in 8mm and Super 8 formats (same film width, different sprocket holes and pitch) although I think they did eventually offer this in a dual 8 (8 and super 8 at the flick of a switch) so you didn't need to own two projectors to show those formats. The neatest one is a Filmosound super 8 projector with a sync plug that allowed you to playback your sound home movies. The super 8 Filmosound system included a camera, tape recorder and projector that provided a primitive Vitaphone-type sound for your movies.

Now as for actually using this projector-if I had it, I wouldn't. For what films cost, even on the used market, it is very easy to shred film on these. When a top of the line super 8 projector can be had for under $100 dollars, you're better off using something like that if you wanted to seriously shoot and project film (yes, super 8 and 8mm stocks are still available). The other issue is the projection bulb-it is typically expensive to replace the sealed-reflector types as they've been obsolete for years. A new bulb could cost as much as 40 dollars, and may only be rated for 10 hours of running! But all that being said, if you just wanted a demonstration piece, where you could spin off a reel of silent Popeye cartoons, then this could sit on the shelf for years in between projections and suffer no real problems.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:20 PM
Damn does run fast…

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadlike View Post
B&H of course, have their claim to fame in producing the Filmosound line of 16mm projectors that every high school and institutional space seemed to have from the 50s to the 90s.
The later (green) Filmosounds aren't that wonderful, especially the autojam ones. The older brown ones are actually nicer, but they're noisy and you have to *gasp!* thread them manually. I've never seen an autojam that actually worked right more than 1/2 the time....

My elementary used Singer projectors, which were teacher-easy the thread. I think there was one non autojam B&H and an Elmo kicking around. A 16mm Elmo? Yep.

By the time I got to high school, it was all film transferred to videotape, which meant you listened to warbly audio while watching orange and blue blobs move around on a 25 inch screen. VHS sucked royally, especially after a zillion views in less than perfect equipment. But it was 'high tech' and we need our schools to be 'high tech'...
Old 08-13-2009, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I've got a bunch of stuff up this alley, but I am quite the amateur. I've had several B+H 8mm machines (mostly dual 8) but none worked right for long. They didn't look like this one, though. I finally picked up a GAF that does well, but now needs a belt. I researched and found what I needed, but for some reason never ordered it. Now I have to search again!

Last year I was given all the projectors from my old elementary school...if I didn't take them they were going in the dumpster. There were 3 16mm sound projectors, all working: an Elmo (which I gave to a friend), a Viewex (nothing special) and a Singer. I thought that last one would be junk but I really like it. If I needed one I'd keep it, but I have a good working 50s Filmosound and a rather late model B+H manual load (I think it is dated '79) so that is really enough. (especially since I only pull them out maybe once every year or so)

One of the neatest things in the pile from the school turned out to be some reels of super 8 that were done by some 6th graders in the early 80s. They were about 4-5 years ahead of me. From watching them it seems clear that there was sound...I need to find a sound 8 projector now. (I had one once before but junked it for some reason)
Old 08-13-2009, 11:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Talking about projector equipment in school, my high school had record players and independent film strip projectors. You'd play the associated record, and when the record beeps, the kid running the projector would advance the filmstrip one picture. One time, the guidance dept had the entire senior class in the auditorium, and they had some lame filmstrip presentation about selecting colleges to apply to. Some of us were able to reproduce the beep well enough to trick the kid to advance the filmstrip early, and thus we'd run out of pictures before the record presentation was done...
Old 08-13-2009, 11:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

bgadow-if your super 8 films have sound, it is very easy to tell-if there is a magnetic strip along the edge of the film, it was intended to have sound recorded to it. There should be a thin strip of the stuff on both edges. If you had an advanced enough projector, you could record to both and have stereo 8 sound!

Believe it or not, you could buy a home unit to also glue your own recording stripe to silent film-a lot of weird super 8 gadgets like that. It seemed like regular 8 was all about having a camera with good build quality and excellent optics, while super 8 was all about the gadgets-intervalometers, fm mike transmitters, super zoom lengths, etc, etc.

Nasadowsk-I have used many of those green Filmosounds over the years and never had an issue with them-until recently. Now every one I find has a rotted worm gear on the drive shaft, rendering the entire projector a useless film jammer. Such a shame to have that plastic gear fail now after so many years of abuse in the classroom. I have an early Filmosound with the manual threading that is a very nice no fuss projector, but my favorite 16 has to be the slot-load Eikis.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:28 AM
Damn does run fast…

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadlike View Post
I have used many of those green Filmosounds over the years and never had an issue with them-until recently. Now every one I find has a rotted worm gear on the drive shaft, rendering the entire projector a useless film jammer. Such a shame to have that plastic gear fail now after so many years of abuse in the classroom. I have an early Filmosound with the manual threading that is a very nice no fuss projector, but my favorite 16 has to be the slot-load Eikis.
My intro to the Autoloads was in middle school, where the AV club (yes, I'll admit it...) was shown how to load one. After watching the teacher turn it on, put the flim in...

"See how easy this is? The film comes out back here. Hey, where's the film? it should have popped out by now... What the...."

I think out of 10 tries, it worked once or twice.

Eiki? That was the premium stuff out by me. We weren't allowed near them

The old school Filmosounds aren't hrd to work, they look intimidating though. You want a real head scratcher, try loading a Kalart-Victor...
Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
You'd play the associated record, and when the record beeps, the kid running the projector would advance the filmstrip one picture.
i never got picked to be that kid at the time thow i didnt want the responsability cause i never really used to listen to the record... unless is was science class, i really liked science class as a kid....the record which was played on an old cloth covered, front speaker, box record player, i remember having to go fetch it from the 'av' closet in the basement of the school. there was a stack of no less then 20 of them....the ones with the neon light over the needle so the teacher could see where the tracks changed even if the classroom lights were out...califone model. oh man the things you remember, i dont even remember what i ate for breakfast but i remember those days.

http://www.recycledgoods.com/zoom.aspx?productID=16065