Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Help - my mint 1977 Magnavox Console

My wonderful mother passed several years ago and I just moved her beloved Magnavox 25" Console into my home - had to hire piano movers to do it. It was purchased in October 1977 and I found the bill of sale, she paid $1751 for it back in the day and that was a fortune! She really treasured it but mainly used the turn table so the TV, Stereo and 8-Track was hardly used. This set is in mint condition every way and I found all of the documents and manuals that were delivered with it. I hooked it up to my AT&T Uverse box, set the STAR SYSTEM selector for channel 03 and it lit up the most bright, clear and beautiful color picture as it had always done despite its 35 year age.

But.. after 3 weeks of flawless TV operation, there is a problem. This is a T 995-02 chassis with a pull down main board and module cards. The clock and channel number that used to appear on the screen no longer displays. There are fine white horizontal lines on the screen that are spaced wide apart, maybe 6 or 7 of them. The picture is somewhat distorted and the colors are bad - flesh tones look red all colors look too dark. I tried to correct this by turning the horizontal hold on the back of the set but that did nothing. The Brightness, Contrast, Tint, Color and Sharpness controls on the front panel of the set all work and change the picture but none of them correct the problem. A switch on the back of the set turns on the Videomatic feature which by pressing the Videomatic Button on the front of the set is supposed to return all picture settings to factory presets - this did nothing but turn down the brightness so I turned it off again. Thinking that the tube was Gaussed, I got a Degausser on Ebay and tried to demagnatize the picture tube - not much effect. So, I rolled the set out from the wall and removed the back cover - barely a speck of dust found it looked so factory fresh. I inspected all the boards to see if there was a blown Cap. but I found no problem there with a visual inspection. I found a slow blow spring type fuse on one of the boards but it looked fine - no blackened glass.
I measured 24vdc on pin 27? going to the picture tube from the Chroma Osc. board and the schematic said that was spot on.

Can anyone help point me to what board or component that I should check? There are a lot of memories in this set and everything else works fine so I am not giving up until I get it fixed. First guy who leads me to success gets kudos sent back to this board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0908.jpg (106.3 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0910.jpg (106.9 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0912.jpg (84.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0917.jpg (57.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0918.jpg (70.3 KB, 50 views)