Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Crt high voltage tester for tube

Hi Im going to change the chips on a sony KV-40XBR800 Television set on Friday this week . I am wanting to know what will I need to test the crt for a charge after I short the crt to the tube chassis grounding . What tester can I use for power . I know the tube has to run at 31.5 KV that's Dc power or ac Im betting most crts run on dc right . Or A.C POWER . But I would like to know that type of tester would the pro's use and how would they safely remover the charge from the tube .I seen on ebay some tester kind of long and it has a meter on the wand most of them only go up to 30kv volts Im betting I need one for 40 kv , My picture tube is 40 inch's and that's why it needs 31.5 kv volts . After I remove the charge Im changing the two sony chips MCZ3001D ON The sony D board there's two of them . Some say there's also one on the A board on some models . I checked the service manual ,but I don't see any on the A board . I want to save this set it High definition set ready for the external HD Tuner , like directv and ota .

So Please show me a picture and any links for service that can help me . I don't know if sony Trinitron picture tubes hold there charge longer than 24 hours or so . One man from a forum said if you place your arm by the picture tube and if it pulls the hair to the tube , than the tube is charged right . But Im not counting on that . Note Im going to have the set unplugged all week and no one is going to plug it in at all .
Old 09-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

For a high-voltage probe, might I recommend a BK Precision HV-44? That's what I want. I don't think anything else has to be used to discharge the CRT.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:16 AM
VideoKarma Member

A screwdriver and alligator clip is fine grounded to the tube ground chassis right .
Old 09-26-2013, 12:41 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Yeah, but the loud SNAP that goes with that would give me quite a jolt on its own.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckland 23 View Post
A screwdriver and alligator clip is fine grounded to the tube ground chassis right .
You are absolutely fine with this. Some residual charge may remain/build up so it's a good idea to attempt discharging the tube a couple of times and even before reattaching the anode wire. You will be okay.
Audiokarma