Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-25-2015, 09:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Radio Shack TV modulator with S video input pretty good

Picked up one of these at a store that is closing for around 95% off ($1.45)!
#150-2526
Turns out that they did some prefiltering of the luma before combining it with the chroma. What this does is to remove the luma that would end up being misinterpreted by early color TV sets (and modern sets using a "notch filter", not a comb filter), creating crawling rainbow patterns on football referee's shirts. This means that our vintage color TV sets will present better looking images with this prefiltering.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
Picked up one of these at a store that is closing for around 95% off ($1.45)!
#150-2526
Turns out that they did some prefiltering of the luma before combining it with the chroma. What this does is to remove the luma that would end up being misinterpreted by early color TV sets (and modern sets using a "notch filter", not a comb filter), creating crawling rainbow patterns on football referee's shirts. This means that our vintage color TV sets will present better looking images with this prefiltering.
I got there too late!
They were selling the stuff, By-the-bag. $25.00 for a rather large plastic shopping bag. You could put a lot of items in there.
There was a guy, just grabbing all the items, off the pegboard display and filling the bag.
I thought, he's either a Craiglister or an *bayer.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

Radio Shack modulator

I confess I was one of those guys taking the by-the-bag RS discounts, but not for CL or e-Bay. I was only choosing itemns that I thought I would use myself.

My local store was letting stuff go in last 2 days of the sale for $10 a large bag, but there was not much left at that point. I did pick up a lot of connectors, some component parts, switches, however, and one breadboard. At list prices the receipt said i saved $1100!!

The items I bought worked out to $0.02 cents an item.

Back to the modulator, it is still available at remaining RS stores and on the web until they decide where they are going with product mix or even if the bankruptcy proposal will be accepted by the courts and the marketplace.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkand View Post

My local store was letting stuff go in last 2 days of the sale for $10 a large bag, but there was not much left at that point. I did pick up a lot of connectors, some component parts, switches, however, and one breadboard. At list prices the receipt said i saved $1100!!

The items I bought worked out to $0.02 cents an item.
That's what they did at the Park Ridge NJ store. I too picked up a lot of connectors and connector adapters. Things like N to UHF adapters, and even found and got a few of the connectors used in Europe "PAL" on TV set antenna inputs, instead of our F connectors. A few USB to RS232 modules, a meter used to help you aim your dish antenna at satellites (thinking I could use it to improve Wifi antenna aim, it's in the same bandwidth). And I got an outdoor rooftop TV antenna for channels 7-69, list $99, for 5 bucks. Made in USA by Antennacraft, says 100 mile reception on the box (Oh, I'm a lot closer than that, but this antenna will feed the house TV antenna coax network I have here, using RG6 the cable guy gave me). I need to replace a 35 year old antenna, which is gutting pretty beat up from windstorms and such. Aside from one low powered digital channel on RF channel 2, everything around here is on channels 7 and above (virtual channels don't count here).

Even though I had a box crammed to the brim, for $10, they still had to scan each and every last item. Made for a 15 foot receipt.