Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Television Foundation CRT Rebuilding Project

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Introduction

Hello all,

This forum was created to assist in communications for those of use involved in or interested about the CRT rebuilding project at the Early Television Museum in Hilliard Ohio.

The forum will be used for,

General announcements about the project;

Progress reports on the project;

General information about the project;

Exchanges about ideas regarding the project.

A YouTube channel has also been set up for the project, video updates will be posted there.

An email address has been created as a repository for the project, that email address is.

crt DOT rebuilding DOT project AT gmail DOT com

just convert the caps into their equivalent punctuations to send mail to the address.

Thanks for all the support given to the project;

Matt Patoray
CRT Rebuilding Project Communications Manager.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:21 AM
VideoKarma Member

im looking forward to this being made avalible ,the chance to get crt's rebuilt ,i was wondering when they start up rebuilding crt's if they are going to be a need for extra core's ,i know from being in the automotive buss. all my life when you start rebuilding a product its a must to have extra cores around just in case something goes wrong . im sure like me others have crt's laying around that are bad ,but i dont want to just throw them out, if shipping can be figured out like a safe way to box them up ,i would be willing to donate some core's.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM
M is for Memory

Wish I could have stayed till Sunday at the ETF meet to hear the rebuilding discussions.

If it is useful to the project I have an orphaned 1950's 17" monochrome tube in need of a rebuild that I'm willing to donate for rebuild experiments or whatever.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-25-2013, 07:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snelson903 View Post
im looking forward to this being made avalible ,the chance to get crt's rebuilt ,i was wondering when they start up rebuilding crt's if they are going to be a need for extra core's ,i know from being in the automotive buss. all my life when you start rebuilding a product its a must to have extra cores around just in case something goes wrong . im sure like me others have crt's laying around that are bad ,but i dont want to just throw them out, if shipping can be figured out like a safe way to box them up ,i would be willing to donate some core's.
I believe there are certain duds Steve McVoy is interested in.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Matt-

Thank you for setting up this new forum for the CRT project. I cannot help much from here in California, but I have a definite interest long-term in the project.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Audiokarma
Old 05-25-2013, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

I'm certainly interested. Thanks very much.
Bill Cahill
Old 05-26-2013, 08:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello to all,

Hi Matt !

The ETF CRT sunday morning meeting not having being televised, i knew nothing about what had been decided there.

The creation of this new VK dedicated Forum and the other actions described by Matt are therefore a very pleasant surprise. In a way, it's the embodiement of suggestions i've discussed privately with several VK members as a follow-up of how to make the project gain momentum after Nick's training trip to RACS in June 2012.

In addition to what has been proposed, i feel 2 other actions would help:

- once a summary has been written and the necessary funds estimated, present the project on the KickStarter site to gain awareness, popularity and funds:

http://www.kickstarter.com/

- Create a PowerPoint presentation + buy a light business projector to be able to go and meet interested parties to present the project and gain interest & funds. If a fundraiser is decided, i'm willing to pitch in to purchase the projector.

Questions:
1) Raising funds: will the CRT project be funded through the ETF or will it be a separate company, a non-profit organization or a regular commercial operation?

2) RACS in France will probably be off-loading CRT rebuilding gear (downscaling) maybe as soon as July 2013. The equipment would be sold at the price of scrap metal, i.e. Dimes on the Dollar.

Would the project be interested in some of this gear?
It would include ovens (electric and gas - Hydrogen/Oxygen), vacuum pumps, screen-depositing stations, aluminization stations, test electronics (Low & High voltage generators, raster generators,...) gun welding gear, Getter-flashing bombarders.
Also NOS parts: guns, filaments, cathodes, getters, phosphors & associated chemicals. Also some raw CRT glass of various screen sizes & gun length.

Nick who worked with all this gear while in France can give precious advice about what seems the most interesting to salvage.

If there is interest, the volume must be assessed and then the cost of shipping it to Hilliard.

Disclaimer: As will all my past activities with RACS over the last 5 years, i have absolutely no commercial incentive to do any of this, it's all volunteer work and it's all free. I will also pitch in with some funds to make it happen.

While waiting for feedback/comments/suggestions,

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 05-26-2013, 10:50 PM
First Light: 1952-2011

I'm in favor of getting the deposition and aluminizing gear over here, but there is some question as to whether it could actually be carried out safely (and lawfully) on site.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpatoray
This forum was created to assist in communications for those of use involved in or interested about the CRT rebuilding project at the Early Television Museum in Hilliard Ohio.
Very nice!!!

What an excellent choice for a message base...... I assume GRUMPY had some say in this bases creation??

Good luck guys!!
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Not sure how I got here.

I think as much consumables as possible should be saved. Cathodes, Filaments, Getters, even if you don't think they fit the current needs, they may be all you have at some point in the future.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I think as much consumables as possible should be saved. Cathodes, Filaments, Getters, even if you don't think they fit the current needs, they may be all you have at some point in the future.
Yep. How many times have you ever REALLY cleaned out yr room, garage, building, whatever, & tossed something you'll NEVER need...Only to need it the next week..I tossed about 8-10 yrs ago a PERFECT 19A11 7" bakelite Admiral case that I'd had for a LONG time, figuring I'd NEVER need it, as it was a duplicate...Think I've seen 3 or 4 times the last several years guys on here wanting/needing one..
Old 06-03-2013, 09:25 AM
Not sure how I got here.

I started saving crap better lately... putting it in a box, labeling it, putting it on a shelf.... quite unlike me to be that neat when it comes to saving crap.... I got lots of crap for the lawn mower, and the 91 accord......