Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
On those I am prob just going to go pig tail method. The tube sockets are not the best quality and I don't want to goof them up trying to unsolder. The others on the bottom have some coils involved so again pig tail. I know some purest think this is sloppy work, but I think its less invasive, and since I have no way of determining the operating status, I dont want to create a problem.
I do this, for this reason, all the time. Just have the pigtiled lead follow the same pattern of lead dress as the old part had. That is, keeping the splice a straight path and not creating a bent pattern.

TV repairmen of the day would do this, they didn't want to spend extra time on a job, and also didn't want to risk breaking something.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

ok all the wax caps under the chassis are now done, just a few on the pcb that mounts on the back and then on to the rest of the PCB. I replaced the 2 .47's in the flyback cage, dusted it gently, it "looks" ok for whatever that is worth.

By doing all the Point to Point stuff 1st it the hard part, the PCB caps are a cinch.

I do as you said, keep the part in the same location and keep the lead dress as original as possible. Had no breakage of parts in the recapping.

At this rate I would hope I can get the balance of it done before next weekend.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:09 AM
On Land

I typically do the pigtail method as well. If I had a CT100 or a 16CK1, I would take the extra time to completely desolder the original part. I don't feel like I do a very good job desoldering... especially when many parts are soldered to one point... so the pigtail just seems more practical for me on common sets. On occasion, I will unsolder the original part if there's plenty of room to work and little chance of me screwing something up.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

progress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_0026.jpg (103.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 000_0027.jpg (126.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 101_4021.jpg (97.4 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 101_4024.jpg (104.0 KB, 106 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 10:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

I typically always pig tail to coils, and will take the time to remove if its to a term strip as long as it does not have a bunch of other stuff on it. I also generally always pig tail to mini tube sockets. I large tube socket has an easy to get at term with out a bunch of stuff I will generally try to not pig tail, but if its at all hard to get at I will pig tail. I comes down to ease and fragile.
Audiokarma
Old 09-30-2012, 10:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

To keep is simple I just ordered a bunch of 1.6kv and 1kv for .047 and .01's. there were a lot of them, and the larger HV caps fit better to the orig part locations.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM
VideoKarma Member

I found this somewhat helpful. I got the orig doc from ETF, the cut and pasted into excel. the cap numbers are cross ref to the schematic. I print it out and used a marker to clearly ID the caps on the board layout. Just a double check to make sure I don't goof anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vert caps.jpg (122.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

two more caps to go on the audio board, then the video board. Sure looks a lot nicer with those shiny new caps

I am going to need to find some new coax, one of the lead is rotten out to a pot.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

all done. the two paper caps on the video pcb were a PITA to get at, the solder pads were under the delay line, but I got them done. So all recapped now. I left the few orange and brown drops alone for now.

Next up I will sweep the resistors looking for any way out of whack, then will test all the tubes for shorts and emissions. After that I think I will be good to go for a power up. Will check the B+ rail for shorts 1st if thats ok I will do a full power start, no need to variac it since I have all new filter caps and 5U4 rectifiers anyway.

oh forgot the dumb coax, will have to get that worked out 1st before I do the power up.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

all pcb done
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_4054.jpg (100.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 101_4055.jpg (98.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 101_4056.jpg (100.7 KB, 74 views)
Audiokarma
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

fixed the volume control coax lead. So its all good to go. Now I just have to pull the chassis out of the donor set (leave the CRT in it for now) and slide this one in for a test run. Prob be in the next couple of days. (oh after checking the tubes duh...)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sounds good. We'll be 'a watching...
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

the few caps I did not change were the domino types, there was at least one large value 1000pf on the horz board. I figured I would leave them be until I test it and see if there is an issue. This thing sure has a LOT of paper caps.

A quick pass did not turn up any faulty resistors. I did have an open fuse the .75amp on the top. I did not have the correct fuse type, so I rigged up a in line fuse holder that uses the blown fuse as a plug, and lets me use the more common stye. Just a temp fix until I get the correct fuse type. There is a B+ fuse, a HOT cathode fuse, and I am not sure what this one is for its a bit confusing on the schematic, seems like its tied into the yoke/vert out/damper circuit.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM
VideoKarma Member

so whats the deal with the yoke plastic?, I seem to recall this being a problem and there being some easy fixes using common plastic parts. Mine is turning into a white mess.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

one shorted 6EA8 AGC and sync amp, Schematic shows a 6U8 a quick check shows that as a sub
weak 6LF8 1st video and noise inverter, schematic shows a 6AW8 a quick check shows that as a sub
getting tired still need to check the chroma and video amp, the rest look ok.
Audiokarma