Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-22-2003, 10:31 PM
michael

CTC7 "Anderson" Cab Needs Help

Just got one of these in a trade (+ 700 mi) but the cabinet "needs help." The panels are wood-grained Masonite (or similar) and are a tad too rough for a touchup. I've seen some wood-graining techniques on the 'net, but none seem to offer an equivalent to the original appearance. Only recently, I've seen a couple of pickups with wood-grained tailgates & I'm wondering if the paint shops have some great new litho process for auto/truck body panels or what exactly is it? Barring some wonderful new application for wood-graining, should I just sand, fill and stabilize the panels then do a veneer job? Suggestions?
Thanks,
Michael
Old 03-22-2003, 10:53 PM
Administrator

I have an Anderson is similar shape. http://www.vintagetvsets.com/ctc7.htm

I was considering just veneering the whole thing, not original but more classy than trying to paint it I think. Consider it an "Upgrade"

Eric
Old 03-23-2003, 12:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA cabinets

Hey Guys,
This is a very commom problem with these sets. The hardboard cabinets with the photo/faux wood grain saved RCA and others money and enabled them to lower the price to consumers. The hardboard/masonite does not take well to sanding or to stain. you can try to apply a veneer and this takes some carpentry skill, especially where edges and corners meet. It is do-able. I have over the years tried with some success using the adhesive wood grained shelf paper.
The finish is a bit dull but passable. Painting is another option. After some filling for chips and scratches, spray on a gloss black or dark brown, certainly not original but the results can be a nice even finish. Prep is paramount. Avoid masking by removing EVERYTHING not to be painted, including the brass, all you want is the cabinet shell.

Last edited by Steve D.; 03-23-2003 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 06:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

RCA CTC-7 ANDERSON

here is a pic of my ctc-7 "anderson" this is the early version (1957),and i have the same problem as the rest of you with cabinet marks and scratches,i dont have the legs screwed on it yet as work to finish the basement has me moving it around at times,this set plays excellent,image in attached pic looks kinda blurry because of fast moving video ,i also want to get the cabinet refinished. but how is the next step..
terry

Last edited by wiseguy; 03-23-2003 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:49 PM
michael

CTC-7 Finish

I'll probably opt for the veneer, although that's almost a love/hate thing for me. I've almost finished with a Seeburg M100B jukebox and prior to that, did the side panels on a Wurlitzer 2300S as well as some table and console radios. If you have a router or laminate trimmer with the edge bit, it's really a pretty simple job and one of those things that actually renders results that appear to be harder than the job actually was.

For a change.

I guess that's why the Anderson model seems to turn up more often, as a somewhat less expensive model. Wonder how much RCA reduced their cost in that hardboard was only subbed for the side panels? By '58, the recession was going full tilt, so I imagine anything they could do to reduce costs and stimulate sales was tried.
Audiokarma