Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage Home Gaming

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-06-2023, 01:32 PM
VideoKarma Member

Prinztronic Videosport Electronic TV Game 800 - Sound issue

Hi All

I have the above unit based on the AY-3-8500 chip sometimes it works fine but alot for the time it makes the bounce sound when the ball is not hitting the wall or bat when it does that pressing the reset doesn't help.

Would that be an issue with the AY chip? Looking at the circuit it appears the sound comes straight from the AY chip via a transitor to the speaker I have tested the transitor and it is OK.

Brian ...
Old 07-14-2023, 05:53 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Hi, Brian-

Welcome to Videokarma!

It does seem like a problem with the chip, but it would also be very surprising to me that the chip itself could develop just this one internal failure. More likely, I would suspect either a power supply problem (incorrect voltage or bad electrolytic capacitor(s)), or maybe poor contact on one or more of the pins on the chip.

Game machines that use that chip are over 45 years old now, so bad electrolytics and/or contacts are quite possible.

Please post a reply here when you learn more, or try these or other solutions, or if you fix it by some other method. Thank you and good luck!

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."