Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

I bought a 35mm print on 4 reels at a garage sale and thought it was pretty neat that I got to see it at the duplex theater about a mile from my house. One of the neighbor kids worked there in the consession stand. The print turned out to be some kind of documentary that was kind of boring. But I do have that memory of the projectionist agreeing to show the film after theater hours. Back in the day a projectionist had to know what he was doing. Now it's all automated. It's sad how technology can takeaway jobs that at one time was specialized. Yes, I was an AV geek in junior high, but everything we had was on 16mm film no 35mm films. Are our projectors were Bell and Howell Filmosound units. Solidly built projectors.
Sony KV-1220U
Old 03-16-2019, 11:14 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popester View Post
...Yes, I was an AV geek in junior high, but everything we had was on 16mm film no 35mm films...
One of the consequences of nitrate base film - a 35mm projection room had to be fireproof with barrier walls separating it from the audience. So, classroom use was 16mm acetate base "safety" film only.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:52 PM
I love old stuff

Tryed to set on fire some triacetate film... it dind't burned.
But oh heck, I've seen some nitrocelulose one buring (on youtube). Rocket fuel. Or gun cotton how it was nicknamed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I was the manager (& projectionist) of a large 700+ seat theater in downtown Neenah, Wisconsin in the late 1970's. https://oldneenahtheater.weebly.com/tour.html We showed Grease in the summer of 1978, sold out for weeks. Many of the kids saw the movie more than a dozen times. But business was so slow in the 1990's the theater closed and was torn down. At that time there were about a dozen screens in the valley.

Now however, the theaters have made an amazing comeback. Decades ago we only showed matinees on Sundays (and Saturday kid's matinees). Now there are over 30 screens in the multiplex theaters here and they show movies starting at 9AM weekdays. Can't believe how many cars are in the parking lots throughout the afternoon. I'd reckon there are a lot more people going to the theaters here now than there were in the 1970's.

Why the business was so slow in the '90's? Home video.
Romania has less movie theater attence per 100,000 people then Hungary...
Old 07-07-2019, 05:40 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Used to be a relief projectionist (IATSE Union at that). First film I ran, "Snow White" for an afternoon Kiddie Matinee. Second film I ran, "Star Wars" and the first evening show I ever ran 35 mm on, on an old tired Motiograph. What used to be the Ridge Theater in Oak Ridge. Later on, I got to run relief duty at the Grove Theater and Simplex XL and RCA soundheads.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:48 AM
I love old stuff

I still dind't get me an projector
Audiokarma