Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

A greeting from our friends at Time Warner.

As of on or around September 13, 2016, Analog reception will no longer be available in my area.
The letter offers free convertors, from now to October 6, 2017. I already have two, I'm paying for!
Lucky US!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:57 AM
M is for Memory

Shit! I was worried this would happen. We're probably on the same analog distribution chain. This probably explains why they called twice in close succession at 9:30am.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-28-2016, 11:26 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Shit! I was worried this would happen. We're probably on the same analog distribution chain. This probably explains why they called twice in close succession at 9:30am.
According to the headline on the TWC is going all digital beginning June 21, 2016, but then, they say it won't change in this area until September.
They say "They're all excited about it".
Old 04-28-2016, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Yes. Charter Communications bought Time Warner the other day so I assume they'll be transitioning whatever remains of TWC's network.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:01 PM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The letter offers free convertors...
Great! Just tell them you want one converter per cable channel you currently receive via analog broadcast and specify that they should each be tuned for individual channel outputs .
Old 04-28-2016, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Where I used to live, I had their $12 cheapie package. When I moved, I hadn't cabled my house yet, so I didn't sign back up. Well, about a year ago I finally decided to get my cheapie package back. They said they are all digital now, and that I would have to rent a converter for each TV (I think it was like $4 a month, each box). I said forget it. Their crap cable was barely worth $12, let alone $20 if I only got two boxes!

I would really need at least 4 boxes, but I could get by with 2. But that's such a needless money-grab, plus another "box" sitting on standby eating electricity, forget it.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:45 PM
<----Zenith C845

I have Time Warner Cable in northeastern Ohio, no box. The only reason I still have cable, aside from the fact that I cannot get two important Cleveland TV stations without it, is so that I can watch the local TV stations with my Roku media player. The TWC TV application will not receive local channels unless the user at least has broadcast basic cable on his or her account; the cable does not have to be physically connected to the television, although if the coax is left hanging behind the TV it can cause impedance mismatches on the system, not to mention other problems. This is why my cable is still connected to my rarely used VCR.

However, the matter being discussed in this thread does not bother me and will not bother me in the least, since I watch all my favorite TV channels and programs via streaming video, DVDs and VHS tapes, not over the cable.

Whatever TWC, Charter or whatever this area's cable operator is these days decides to do with their services from now on will have no effect on me. I read an article on Cnet.com shortly before writing this, in which the discussion was about a proposed move by the FCC to "unlock" all cable boxes, whatever that means. The TV networks are up in arms over this, of course, and wish it wouldn't happen, but from what I have read, both here and elsewhere, it looks like it will, and before long at that.

I have been wondering for the longest time when Time Warner Cable will eliminate analog channels on its systems. As it stands now, I get two separate channel lineups on my Roku player, one with analog channels, the other with digital ones, the latter numbered 1003, 1005, 1008 . . . et al. I find it very annoying to have to flip through the entire analog lineup just to find the digital channel I want to watch.

To date I have not received any correspondence from Time Warner regarding the discontinuation of analog TV service, but I'm sure the notice will be in my mailbox one of these days, likely very soon.

BTW, I did not know and, frankly, had no idea Charter Cable had bought out or otherwise taken over Time Warner recently, until I read the posts in this thread. When did this take place? As I said, I have had no correspondence (yet) from TWC regarding any changes, either in corporate ownership or in services being offered or discontinued.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 04-28-2016 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:01 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep
As of on or around September 13, 2016, Analog reception will no longer be available in my area.
It wasnt really ANALOG anyway buddy,it was DIGITAL CONVERTED TO ANALOG....

There was an agenda in the 80s to start destroying the natural/beautiful purity of analog and thats exactly what they started doing
Old 04-29-2016, 11:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The letter offers free convertors, from now to October 6, 2017. I already have two, I'm paying for!
Lucky US!
That happened here at the end of 2012 with Comcast.Again its a corrupt way to get viewers to rent their convertor boxes .If they let us get away using our built in digital QUM tuners in our TV's .It would be fine.No we need a freaking box for everything.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Audiokarma