Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin67 View Post
I have the same AM/FM Zenith (round dial, middle of the photo) those are usually easy to get going, once you replace the suspect caps. The blond radio phonograph it is sitting on looks interesting, never seen one like that, what brand is it? If you have a model number or a good photo of the record changer I could probably identify the changer, I have service info for most changers I can scan for you.
The 'blond' radio is actually a 1947 Stromberg/Carlson. I will have to take a gander at the model number again but if I'm not mistaken it's the "Series 10".
Old 09-06-2015, 10:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavesTV View Post
Welcome! You have some not so common radios there! I see a few I recognize, and on the top left hand side, a General Electric am/fm table top tube radio, that is like the one my family had in the 1960s! Nice to start when you are young, I did too! Got my first couple of radios and tv's when I was 9 or 10 years old, and I'm still enjoying the hobby at 55 years old! :-) Work carefully and safely, and you'll continue to learn as you go, this group is full of knowledge, and fun, too!
It's always cool when people recognize my radios! The GE with the gold dial that you were referring to is also one of my personal favorites! I bought it at an estate sale back in the summer of '09 when I was first getting into antique radios. Somehow it still works well with its original filter capacitor!
Old 09-10-2015, 02:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Welcome aboard! I'm glad that you enjoy the hobby of electronics & collecting / preservation! I'm also glad that you have an appreciation for these things, because I've observed many folks who look at "vintage" things almost with disdain and refer to them as old/obsolete/worthless/ludicrous/archaic instead of acknowledging the progression of design & technology over time.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Was the time you saw those radios in the restaurant the moment that got you "hooked" on this hobby?
Old 09-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Welcome ashore
Audiokarma
Old 09-11-2015, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by user181 View Post
Was the time you saw those radios in the restaurant the moment that got you "hooked" on this hobby?
Yes I was hooked! It was the first time I had ever seen so many rad and retro radios in one place! Coincidentally I ended up collecting some of those same radios that I saw at the restaurant down the line.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:01 PM
Motorola Minion

Welcome to VK, I started at the same age you did, when NOBODY wanted a tube radio.
You have a nice collection and like Jim said, Phil Nelson has a fantastic website that takes you from the beginnings of how to do it right.

BTW-I have one like that B&W portable GE tube set on the right side, those radios had the 1R5-1U4-1U5-3V4 common to battery radios of the 50's. Mine is red-orange but missing its handle. Those sets need some special care so the delicate filaments of those 1.5-volt tubes are not stressed.

Please send me a P-M if you need any funky tubes for radios and Ill mail them cheap, not like the fleabay tube hucksters
Old 09-12-2015, 05:41 PM
complete novice

Welcome to the forum, im sure youll love this place.

Ive learned a ton in my time here. Have fun, go slow in your restorations, dont be afraid to ask questions and youll do just fine.
Old 09-12-2015, 08:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post
Welcome to VK, I started at the same age you did, when NOBODY wanted a tube radio.
You have a nice collection and like Jim said, Phil Nelson has a fantastic website that takes you from the beginnings of how to do it right.

BTW-I have one like that B&W portable GE tube set on the right side, those radios had the 1R5-1U4-1U5-3V4 common to battery radios of the 50's. Mine is red-orange but missing its handle. Those sets need some special care so the delicate filaments of those 1.5-volt tubes are not stressed.

Please send me a P-M if you need any funky tubes for radios and Ill mail them cheap, not like the fleabay tube hucksters
Thank you for the advise! The portable radio that you were speaking of is actually a very special radio to me because it was originally my mom's cousin Dale's. He got it for Christmas at the age of twelve back in 1956! He told me that he listened to it quite often back in the day and he said that he received a station from Mexico all the way from his home in Western New York State! Unfortunately, the radio has been completely dead for years but he passed it on to me with the hope that I could fix it. I have no intention of letting him down.