Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Introductions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Willy from TN

I have been a lurker for a while. I thought I would finally post. I got my start in taking old ,dead TVs apart as a kid. I got to where I I got a few going. I would love to have one of the old metal chassis type Zeniths I got going back then.

Anyway I continued, got my education in electronics then went into computers. Now I am getting to enjoy life some after many years of being so busy. So I decided to redo my workshop and turn it into a working museum if you will. I wanted to set it up to look like something from the 50s or 60s. I have a bunch of old magazines, NRI manuals, Photofacts flyers,etc. that I got ideas for my workbench and shop. It's sort of like paying homage to to all the TV guys back when I was a kid who helped me back then.I added a few things like a digital meter,some newer tools and computer to help me even though they weren't in shops then.

I wasn't sure if I could post a link to another site but I have a garage site my shop is at during the redo of it. If your interested let me know and I can send it to you. If it is ok to post the link and you want to see it let me know and I can post it. The main thing I need to do to my shop is to rebuild a few items like a 40s O scope and I also want to find a TV shop sign that was outside the store. I have been looking somewhat but no luck as of yet. Well that is a little about me.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Nice t'have ya ! Welcome ! Where in Tennessee ?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am in the Smithville'McMinnville area. Its almost in the center of the state. I am about an hour from Nashville, about 2 1/2 hours from Knoxville and about 2 hours from Chattanooga.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:19 PM
johnny the raster master!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy3486 View Post
I am in the Smithville'McMinnville area. Its almost in the center of the state. I am about an hour from Nashville, about 2 1/2 hours from Knoxville and about 2 hours from Chattanooga.
my grandpa grandma and great grandma (87)
they live closest to gladeville tennessee its a nice little town, but thats just the closest town. they live in the middle of nowhere! welcome to vk!

Looking for zenith cobramatic parts

-johnny the raster master!

Last edited by radiotron; 11-13-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

I'm about an hour-hour & 20 minutes NE of Knoxville, up close to the Tri-Cities...
Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gladeville is about an hour from me. That is just off the 840 road. It now loops around Nashville to bypass the I40 traffic. As far as Tri Cities I am not sure if I have ever been there. I think Knoxville is the closest I have been there. Thanks for the welcome folks.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Gladeville is about an hour from me. That is just off the 840 road. It now loops around Nashville to bypass the I40 traffic. As far as Tri Cities I am not sure if I have ever been there. I think Knoxville is the closest I have been there. Thanks for the welcome folks.
yep its right next to mt. juliet we take interstate 24 from indiana to around nasville, then we take i think 40 it only takes about 4 hours every july, and mabe this thanksgiving!

Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

NE Tennessee is a different world than Nashville & points west...We're Hillbillys, & they're more Flatlanders & Delta people...Ain't nothin' WRONG w/that, we're just a bit different....I've got more in common w/folks from Roanoke, Va, & London/Corbin, Ky than w/people from Nashville & beyond..
Old 11-13-2012, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
NE Tennessee is a different world than Nashville & points west...We're Hillbillys, & they're more Flatlanders & Delta people...Ain't nothin' WRONG w/that, we're just a bit different....I've got more in common w/folks from Roanoke, Va, & London/Corbin, Ky than w/people from Nashville & beyond..
Here where I live we are in the middle. So I guess we should come up with something different. I quess you could call us country folk. My parents did move to Memphis before I was born but we moved to AZ when I was about 5. We moved back to the area I live at when I was about 7. Both of my parents were country folk so to speak. My mom was raised close to what is Fall Creek Falls SP if you know where that is. And my dad was a cousin to Dottie West. I guess Dottie was country as well.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Memphis has a few weeks of "Cold", a few more of "Nice", but most of the year, it's HOT....
Old 11-14-2012, 07:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Willy, we'd love to see pix of your shop. Post away!

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:06 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
Willy, we'd love to see pix of your shop. Post away!
Ok, Keep in mind I do tubes as a hobby and work on computers for a living. So with that in mind I do have newer stuff. Keep in mind I modeled it after shops I remember and pictures I have of older shops. So it may not look like a shop you remember I have other tools in the other part of my shop that is in another section. I have been trying to find items like advertising from shops. I found a really nice original sign if I can buy it. I think it is higher than it should be but if I can sale a older goodyear sign I have from the 30s to finance it I will.

Anyway just ask question if you have them. Keep in mind that not only do I tinker with TVs I also work on tube radios,jukeboxes,computers,printers and anything electrical. Instead of reposting all the pictures and seven pages of info here is a link to it. If people like it enough and want it here I might repost it here as it fits in better here.
Here is the link.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=97315
Old 11-14-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Ok, Keep in mind I do tubes as a hobby and work on computers for a living. So with that in mind I do have newer stuff. Keep in mind I modeled it after shops I remember and pictures I have of older shops. So it may not look like a shop you remember I have other tools in the other part of my shop that is in another section. I have been trying to find items like advertising from shops. I found a really nice original sign if I can buy it. I think it is higher than it should be but if I can sale a older goodyear sign I have from the 30s to finance it I will.

Anyway just ask question if you have them. Keep in mind that not only do I tinker with TVs I also work on tube radios,jukeboxes,computers,printers and anything electrical. Instead of reposting all the pictures and seven pages of info here is a link to it. If people like it enough and want it here I might repost it here as it fits in better here.
Here is the link.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=97315
thats a nice shop you got some good radios there the best radio ive ever had was a 1937 zenith robot dial, ( seriously i owned it 30 seconds untill i sold it)!

Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotron View Post
thats a nice shop you got some good radios there the best radio ive ever had was a 1937 zenith robot dial, ( seriously i owned it 30 seconds untill i sold it)!
Thanks for the complement. I joined that other site for the tool info there and I saw a 1930s shop redone. It is really nice and I thought I could do the same but make it like the old TV shops I hung out in. I hope to find a TV shop sign but no luck yet. Hopefully when it turns to cold to be outside for me, usually in Dec to first of March I can spend a lot of time in there finishing the sorting of my stuff. I have thousands of new tubes to sort. I made boxes to put them in. I also need to scrap a bunch of stuff. I hope to show people who may have never been in a TV shop how they were. Now on the quest for a TV sign.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Greetings from the flat end of the state. I am in Jackson, between Memphis and Nashville. I grew up in Memphis then moved to Jackson with my job at the time. I am into color tv from the early 60's. Once you get outside Memphis or Nashville there is very little difference in Tennessee country folks. Welcome to VK.
Audiokarma